50HP yamaha bearing

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2003 50HP Tiller steer Yamaha, the main crankshaft bearing is getting noisey (I think it is the bottom one) I went to my Local dealer and asked for a price, he said if I dismantle the motor and bring in just the Crank, he will press off the old one and fit a new one for $2,000, now that seems like a lot of money for a bearing to me, I also priced a complete crank (with bearing) and it was almost the exact same price, is there a special tool/press to do this and is the bearing really expensive, or is it time for me to look for a new dealer???

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50HP yamaha bearing

after removing the oil pump drive gear,if used, simply press the old bearing off with a bearing puller ,heat the new bearing at 200*F in a toaster oven for about 10 min and slip it on the crank.
last bearing I bought for the V4 was about 40 dollars.
best I recall most all the 50's used a built up crank. ackermans marine does a nice job rebuilding them usually cost around 400 dollars.

noelm

OK, are you saying the 50HP MAY not just use a simple press on/off bearing? I have no problem with the engine dismantle and reassembly, and have a full Automotive Worksop available to me, but if the cost is about 2 grand, I might just as well trade the thing in and get a new one for almost the same price, especially when you consider all the little bits and pieces that also need to be replaced when it goes back together, hey and it is GREAT to see you back! you have helped me out a few times now with your knowledge and willingness to pass it on.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

In the states, they had two different cranks in the 50 hp. One you had to press apart and put back together and align like a motorcycle crank. The other was more of a standard outboard crank.

noelm

OH I see, I have done both types over the years, is there anyway to tell which type I have from a model or other methods?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes there is a way.
however as you thoughtfully neglected to post a model number we really cant identify it other than a 50 HP yamaha.
based on the information we dont know if its a C model,oil injected or 2 or 4 stroke.
would be like me asking you to pick up a set of radio knobs for my neighbors chevy.
however all the 2 strokes used a pressed on lower main bearing. they are not difficult to replace once the crank is out.

DeweyN

Recruit

I have a 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha and need the center main bearing replaced. Is there anyone who can press the crank apart and replace the bearing?

Capt Ken

Commander

You need to start a new thread being this is a very old one