Loom - Starting Problems - 130 HP Yamaha

RedRock

Recruit
I have recently purchased a second-hand Panache - the outboard is a 2005 Yamaha 130 HP V4 Saltwater Series.

Besides doing a land based check I also took her on the water which included stopping & starting amongst others - each time it started straight away.

But after purchase the first time I tried to fire her up - there was nothing & I mean nada! I contacted the previous owner to ask if I was missing something in my start-up procedure.

It was established that this sounded like an 'old' problem that he too had when he made original purchase & that I should try to 'lift the loom' up towards the outboard. Sure enough it fired up straight away.

Everytime I try to start with the loom prone, it does not even turn or show any sign of life - lift it up and it fires! Once started it can be laid down again and she will continue to run. But switch off and try again - same thing - only starts when lifted.

My question is this - Does anyone have any advice for me or had similar problems? What did you do & what worked? Should I attempt to fix this myself or rather have it looked at professionally?

I ask because I had a similar problem years ago on another motor & and after having it looked at by many professionals ($$$) it still remained a mystery - eventually I noticed that it seemed to be evident only under specific conditions- namely when turning right, it would begin to stutter & lose power - after much detective work I found the cause to be a cable from one of the spark plugs that would lose power when coming in to contact with the metal parts in the motor when I turned right & then be fine again when driving straight or turning left as the cable would in turn move away.

The cable was a protected one with a sealed rubber outer-cover and had no visible cracks or anything - but was certainly the cause as it never came back after replaced.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Loom - Starting Problems - 130 HP Yamaha

your making a mountain from a mole hill.
do you have a multimeter and what control box are you using ?

RedRock

Recruit

I do (multimeter) & its a side mount Yamaha Remote Control with an all-in-one choke, key & on-off switch.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok. with the key off test between the red and blck wires coming from the box. then hit the key and see if it changes.
your either fighting a bad ground,bad red wire or a bad battery cable.
all are easy to find.

RedRock

Recruit

Many thanks - I shall do so & report back thereafter.

RedRock

Recruit

Many thanks - I shall do so & report back thereafter.

RodBolt- since my last reply I have been out of town and not able to check my loom problem as you suggested but will do so upon my return and will respond then.

Once again thanks

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like either a brittle wire or a wire that has been pinched. You might try a continuity test using the ohm scale on your multmeter. It should identify the problem wire or wires very quickly.

RedRock

Recruit

FEEDBACK
(with the assistance of this forum)

I traced it back to a wire that was crimped & partially broken inside.

This was found right at the loom entrance to the outboard casing proper & when "lifted" was able to make contact.

Thanks for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no worries
always remember, for the most part, 12Vdc is simply water in a pipe, switches are simply on/off valves, wires are simply water pipes.

no path from the positive battery post to the negative means the device simply does not work. always seperate the circuits, no sense in testing a yellow key on 12v+ wire for a start circuit brown wire function.
careful testing and a quick review of the circuit diagram will eliminate any guess work and dramatically shorten troubleshooting time.