Suzuki DT65 1985 Stalling

Olaf H

Recruit
I want to thank all the people who help out us wannbe mechanics. I have had the stalling problem for years, when trying to pull skiers out of the water. I have taken DeeJaycee_2000 advice almost. The fuel pump and carb were rebuilt, fuel lines replaced from the tank to the carbs and the carbs soaked in parts cleaner for about an hour. I didn't want to soak them over night because of the plastic fuel line fittings on the carbs. Will this harm them? The boat ran good with exxon gas but it seemed when my Dad got some gas from the local generic gas station the stalling returned. Can jetting help with the ethanol?

I think I am on the right track but that I may have had multiple problems when running WOT the Motors top RPM would vary from 5000 to 5300 the top RPM I think should be 5500. Thanks for any thoughts or comments, Glenn O

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT65 1985 Stalling

It could be the grade of gas but with the amount of ethanol now days ive been useing seafoam mixed with my gas and have not have any more problems.
mike

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through something similar lately with my DT-85 and without the help of this forum, I would have thrown the engine away !!!! Check the connector where your fuel line attaches to the engine. The Suzuki Quick-Connects have O-rings in them that deteriorate and leak air. I went to the auto parts and bought a double ended fuel barb fitting and eliminated the Suzuki fitting. It solved my problem. It's worth the $3 to eliminate that possibility for a problem.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

welcome to iboats :) .... how did you almost take my advice if this is your first post on iboats? ... your max rpm should be between 5500 and 6000 rpm, what prop you running?

Olaf H

Recruit

Hi Thanks for the postings, I have been using Sea Foam. The only thing I didn't replace on the fuel line side was the connecters. Deejaycee I was able the read the posted messages without posting one. The only thing I didn't do was soak the carbs overnite because of the plastic fittings that's what the almost was about. The prop is a 15 pitch whitch replaced the 16 pitch.

My boat is in Maine I will not be able to work on it till spring. I was thinking about Boyesen reed valves, has anyone tried them??? Glenn O

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat is in Maine I will not be able to work on it till spring. I was thinking about Boyesen reed valves, has anyone tried them??? Glenn O

I don't believe that they make them for Suzukis. I was looking for some for my DT-85.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Oh ok, no problems .... they do make boyesen reedst for suzuki, and they are great ..... anyway .... well seems like you did a great job so far ... you did blow out the carbs with compressed air after the soak right? Connectors could be a problem sometimes so you must make sure there is no air leaks in the fuel system ..... on another note, it would be wise to replace your spark plugs and set the gaps perfectly .....

Olaf H

Recruit

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo.php?stor...+petal)&submit.x=39&submit.y=18&submit=search

Bowhuntrrl Above is the path for the DT 85 reed valves not sure if they have your year. That's two things I didn't do new plugs, the fuel connection from the tank to the motor. I did use my compressor to blow out the passages after soaking the carbs. Will the parts cleaner harm the plastic fittings on the carb? Thanks again for all the heip Glenn O

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Well if you use proper outboard carb cleaner i don't think it would harm anything .... why didn't you take the fittings off?