Yamaha 60 hp, 1985, power loss, help!

djnelson

Cadet
I have a 1985 60hp yamaha which starts and runs well but after 20 mins. running slows to quarter speed for about 15mins. before running back up to full power. I have tried changing fuel tanks and have replaced the fuel line. Could it be the ignition system? and can the ignition system be repaired or repaced an what sort of cost is envolved. I have the engine on a Streaker ski boat near Toulon in the Med. Any advise would be much apreicated.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 60 hp, 1985, power loss, help!

next time it slows try squeezing the primer bulb if it comes back its a fuel problem.then you will know where to start.It dosent sound electrical.

djnelson

Cadet

Thanks for your reply Bgbass 1, I have tried sqeezing the bulb, also changing the fuel line, tank and filter. Opening and closeing the throttle, ajusting the choke and different fuel mixtures don't help. One interesting point is that after 15 or 20 mins the engine returns to full power for no aparent reason. My thought is that a part has maybe got hot, failed, (maybe causing loss or power in 1 or 2 cylinders) cooled, then started functioning again.
As the engine was supplied in Europe I can't find parts on the USA web sites, the info I have is 60 FE, 1985 6h2302010. I wonder if ignition parts for the 70hp of that year would work?
Any way some of the wisdom expressed on this site is very impressive, so I'm hoping some one will recognise these symptoms. Many Thanks, Happy Boating.

leftover_pepsi

Recruit

i`m new on here and havent figured out how to post my problem ,but its very close to yours. my recently purchased basstracker with a 1991 85hp yamaha will run great for 20-30 minutes then it drops off to quarter speed also.i replaced the plugs, fuel line and bulb,fuel pump,and cleaned out each carb(they wasnt dirty). when it acts up i can shut the engine down and immediately start it back up and it will run fine for 2to3 minutes. before i take it to a shop i`m almost positive its in the ignition but i`m not sure how to test the cdi unit. any help would be appreciated

djnelson

Cadet

Thanks leftover pepsi, Yes it does sound like a similar problem. The only advise I have found so far suggests swapping parts untill the problem goes, but I am having a hard time finding ignition parts for this older model, in Europe. Please do let me know if you find a solution to your problem.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

the more i think about your problem i ran into this a long time ago. you should have a temp. switch on that model check that because it could be corroded at the switch and that would put it slow mode that wire could be grounding out then when it moves its ok again. just a thought
mike

djnelson

Cadet

Thanks again bgbass, I will look for it next time I go to the boat, is it a sender on the engine? where abouts on the enging should I look to find it ? I talked to a technition on the phone who said he thought the problem might be in the carbs, and that I should clean them, I guess that just means dropping off the lower part of the bowl and checking for debris. Thanks again for your reply.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

What it really means is pulling them, tearing them down and soaking them as well as blowing out all of the passages.

djnelson

Cadet

Many Thanks Ray, I pulled them, cleaned some debris out and now it runs like a goodun. So I will stop worrying about the CDI, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know the symptoms of a failing CDI ? I find the unknown workings of the black box a little unnerving, especily when transiting a hostile lee shore in lumpy conditions.