Suzuki DT30 water pump removal impossible! Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

extreme

Cadet
Hello,
I have this 89' suzuki DT30, great little motor except I can't remove the lower unit to change the water pump impeller. With all the bolts removed the lower unit won't drop. The repair manual says : the drive shaft may be frozen at the base of the powerhead and the only way is to cut the shaft with a torch ?? Is this for real? Even if it was, how would you even get to the shaft ? Some kind of prehistoric, motor !!! or does this happen a lot?
I would appreciate any input, thanks.
Extreme

Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT30 water pump removal impossible! Help !

No .... don't cut anything ..... first try deep penetrating oil and let it soak in for a while and then take a hammer and give it a lite tap and see if it moves .... there is a pin that holds the 2 together and years of saltwater can make it stuck ......

extreme

Cadet

Thanks DEJAYCEE,
OK ,I'll give that a go. I Did not know about the pins.
Extreme

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

try turning it upside down and applying oil of wintergreen to the shaft,
but its why I keep hammering about routine maint.
if done yearly like the book says it never ever happens and a water pump is never "needed".

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

How many bolts did you remove, are you sure that you got them all ??? Did you get the one in the back above the prop ?????

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

the shift shaft might be under the carbs did you disconnect it?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

there is no shift shaft under the carbs ..... what motor are you thinking of?

extreme

Cadet

I removed I think was 6 bolts total. I don't know which one above the prop. I don't have the motor in front of me but I'll be there in 2 weeks.
Thanks
Extreme

extreme

Cadet

Yes, I disconnected the shift shaft.
Thanks
Extreme

wpalmisano

Cadet

Well what happened ? WHat was the issue ? How did it go dude ?

deljohnson

Recruit

I just changed my water pump. In addition to removing the 6 bolts that hold the lower unit (gear case housing) to the Drive Shaft Housing you need to remove the clutch turnbuckle and lock nut on the shift lever (clutch schematic #5 and #19 respectively on the Suzuki Parts Book for the DT25C 88-99 and DT30C 88-97 engines. The turnbuckle and lock nut are accessible on the outside of the engine in front of the drive shaft housing. As stated earlier leave a couple of bolts between the gear case and the drive shaft so that the lower unit doesn't fall when you disconnect the turnbuckle.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

really, draging out a 2 year old post. by a 1 timer. leave old stuff behind unless you have something important to add!!!

glennc1

Recruit

really, draging out a 2 year old post. by a 1 timer. leave old stuff behind unless you have something important to add!!!
REALLY??, a 1 timer was all I needed on this problem, that post was actually VERY important as Ive been up to my elbows in my DT30 until I found his post, Ive been boating up here in Alaska for 40 years and there is no stupid question when it comes to Outboards because we change them like underwear up here. Why do you waste your time telling someone else to leave the old stuff behind ya Greenhorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.