can't go over 4600rpm @ WOT 115 yamaha 2-stroke

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a used boat recently
1982 16" fiberglass sportcraft open bow with 1990 Yamaha V4 115 2-stroke.
The boat is a light (1400lbs loaded with 2 people in it) 16" v-hull/hybrid boat. It is rated for a max of 110hp.
The propeller is a yamaha 13" X 21 pitch stainless. Max speed is 39mph alone (GPS tested). 37mph with 3 people. This boat defies logic and I'm trying to find the reason why it's so slow.

I researched other similar boats and most of them are well over 40mph. Most of the them in the 45mph-47mph range and are able to hit 5300rpm+ with this size of propeller.

What I've checked:
-120psi compression on all cylinders.
-new spark plugs well gapped
-tried mounting the engine 1" higher to make the anti-cavitation plate line up with the bottom of the boat. This result in the same speed +-.5 mph with a lot slower acceleration due to prop venting. Also the boat can't turn hard now for the same reason. With the engine in the original position when the trim is down the boat handles very well.

How the engine runs:
never stalls seems to run really well, no hiccups or up and down rpm at WOT. Excellent acceleration out of the hole, shoot out and gets on plane very quickly. Hit 30 mph in around 5-6 seconds.
But it just seems to not want to go over 4600rpm. Unless I overtrim the engine and lose a bit of mph. Trimming from bottom adds about 2.5mph.

Next thing I need to check is Ignition timing and I ordered a 19 pitch aluminum propeller by turning point prop.

Another note for the performance aspect is the boat has been repaired a few times and the bottom is kinda rough. A few patches not well sanded down and such. I don't know how bad this can affect top speed.

Any other ideas or comments ?

Attachments

• 1982starcraft.JPG
    1982starcraft.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: can't go over 4600rpm @ WOT 115 yamaha 2-stroke

you shouldrun well over that.
5500 or so.you may be over proped
good luck benny 1963

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

you shouldrun well over that.
5500 or so.you may be over proped
good luck benny 1963

Maybe, but what I don't understand is this:

Normally when a boat is over proped, adding weight slows the boat down a lot, especially in a light boat. I barely slow down adding 400lbs.
Also the boat did not go faster by raising the engine 1". This doesn't make any sense. The engine shoots so fast to max RPM but then but hits a wall at around 4500rpm. You need to use a lot of trim to go up to 4600-4700rpm and even then most of it is slipping.

Also a 21 pitch 13" prop isn't that big of a prop for a light 16' fiberglass boat ?
Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the 115 yammie.

72Glastron

Cadet

I have a 16 foot 1977 Skeeter that I just added an 1993 Yammie 115. It instantly gets up to 50mph and has a Alum. 17pitch on it. RPM are more then you say, maybe your boat hull is slowing it down somehow?

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 16 foot 1977 Skeeter that I just added an 1993 Yammie 115. It instantly gets up to 50mph and has a Alum. 17pitch on it. RPM are more then you say, maybe your boat hull is slowing it down somehow?

What rpm are you turning with that prop @ 50 mph ?

My fish finder says I do 47-50mph. But GPS says 37-39mph depending on conditions.

My rpms do sound like they are @ 4500rpm. I have the yamaha digital gauge and it is set for the correct engine.

I am starting to think that because the stern of the boat is shaped like a tri-hull in the back. When on a plane the boat has tri-hull type resistance causing low max speed. I should post a pic of the hull to figure out if it's one of the low efficiency one.

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

any other input ?
I want to try something today.

For checking ignition timing @ Wot with the boat out of the water I read somewhere about a trick ?
I don't recall the exact procedure. Anyone knows how to do it ?
I have a timing gun

1990 Yamaha 115 2-stroke

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

go to a good dealership,rent their test wheel. if the motor will spin it your over propped,if it wont you have engine issues.

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

go to a good dealership,rent their test wheel. if the motor will spin it your over propped,if it wont you have engine issues.

Good idea !! sweet. That takes away the boat as a factor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes it does.
and on a boat with an unknown history its the only way to seperate hull/prop issues from engine issues.
you would not belive the amount of new rigs we get that are way overpropped from the factory.
used gets even worse sometimes with Ebay and such.

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

We will know soon with a new aluminum 19 pitch prop from turning point propellers.

Checked timing advance today. Perfect at idle part throttle and WOT. 25btdc @ wot and 5 btdc @ idle.

I checked something else today. I use portable tanks. And the primer bulb is pretty firm normally. However at WOT the bulb goes soft and there seems to be a vacuum created. I tried pumping it but it stays soft and sucked up.
Don't know if this is normal. Going to 2/3 throttle the bulb pumps back up.
Maybe I have a vent issue on the tanks ? Could this cause a lower than normal fuel pressure and lean out @ wot.

Ben Paquin

Seaman Apprentice

I just tested the turning point prop on my yamaha 115

What's nice is that I went from a stainless steel 21 pitch that did 39mph @ 4600rpm
to an Aluminum 19 pitch that does 40mph @ 4900 rpm. The prop cost me 70$
I do a lot of fishing on an old logging river. There aren't many logs around anymore but once in a while you see one floating by.

When I raised the engine the 21 pitch yamaha ventilated quite a bit.
I did not change engine height and now barely have any ventilation. Much better acceleration and handling. Also I can trim the engine so much more now and gain speed. Still 40mph is all I got trimmed out @ 4900rpm.

What's strange is the 19 pitch prop runs 36.5mph @ 4600rpm with the engine trimmed down. Similar to the yamaha 21 pitch. It just allows me to trim the engine quite a bit more without ventilating.