Suzuki Sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver22

Cadet
I have a 2001 DF 70 that has been iin the shop for 2 1/2 months. The problem is when I run the engine and it gets warm, if I turn off the engine, it will not restart. The engine is still under warranty and Suzuki has guided my local repair facility through every step, and it still does not work. I am having to file a Lemon law lawsuit, because Suzuki will not give up trying to fix the damn thing. New vacuum hoses, throtle body, ECM, fuel pumps... and trying to talk to anyone at suzuki is worthless! All I get is" we will call you back" and they never do.
I have owned many other outboards, and never had maunfacturer problems like this

AT ALL COSTS, DO NOT BUY A SUZUKI

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki Sucks!

Ive found suzuki's to be just as good if not better than other makes,customer support has always held them back.I'd be looking for a different mechanic!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your experience is unique, diver. If it was common you could read about it here and Suzi would know how to fix it. Some component essential to the starting is failing when hot.

I had a DF70 that was flawless and I know of many others who are just as happy with them as I was. Further, I got nothing short of superb service from my Suzi dealer.

Good luck, and I hope you are not too embarrassed about your outburst when she is purring again.

gss036

Commander

Suzuki has district reps, ask to speak with him and be nice, he may be able to help.
I went through that routine w/service rep on a new Chev pick-up, Thank good the have a customer service numbers in Detroit. After one rebuild, they finally dropped in an out of the box fresh engine. That fixed it, maybe you can find the right person to talk with. I have a friend who owns a Suzuki dealership, don't see him that often but if I do I will inquire.

gss036

Commander

I just noticed that you are going all over the net posting, is there one board you haven't found yet?

lmddmc

Cadet

MY 1984 suzuk 25 hp is still running fine I think you better find a real suzuk dealer. Mark

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

OP Thanks for the heads up! I want to repower an 18ft Profisherman Sylvan. Su-sucki is off the list. THANKS!!!! BIG TIME!!!!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

... it is because you have to restart it with the kill switch in ........... and not choke it again ....... maybe it's not the motor, maybe it's the operator .... oooo I see it is a 4-stroke ......

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive found suzuki's to be just as good if not better than other makes,customer support has always held them back.I'd be looking for a different mechanic!
Ditto to that. They were the first to come out with EFI outboards, they were the first to come out with four stroke outboards, their repair and shop manuals are some of the best I've seen. Customer support with any manufacturer is always suspect at times. I'd find a different mechanic too.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the ignition switch, the white wire to the computer must have proper voltge. Idle control valve next, the valve corrodes and will not always set a code. All engine control systems must be within specs when engine is hot. You are not the only to have this problem. It is heat related problem.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honda has been making four stroke outboards for more than forty years. When did Suzuki make their first four stroke outboard?

diver22

Cadet

Suzuki has brought their senior technician out to fix my outboard and he can not figure it out! Next he will probably tell me that it is the prop! I have owned other suzukis (15 & 25 hp) and have been happy, but I am upset with their Customer Service. The engine runs great, as long as you dont stop it. I am pissed at the customer service that Suzuki offers. If you Call Suzuki Customer service, you will get " I will look into it" and they never get back to you! Suzi Customer service told me that they do not replace or refund, no matter how long the engine has been in the shop. Further, they told me that outboards are not subject to the Lemon Law (lie). I have been extreemly patient and so has the dealer. At wht point do they replace every part on the engine or just replace the whole thing?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to fire off an e-mail to Suzuki Headquarters in Japan. I am sure they would not be happy to hear how your problem has been handled.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did a quick Google search and found this:
"Do not buy a Suzuki product! They are the worst for service and support. We have been trying for 9 months to get our digital piano fixed, and they are clueless!" I read the same comments about Suzuki cars and motorcycles. I think I am starting to see a pattern.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suzuki cars I could understand being skeptical. I've owned Suzuki motorcycles for over 10 years. All different ages and types. Never an issue.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honda has been making four stroke outboards for more than forty years. When did Suzuki make their first four stroke outboard?
Four stroke EFI outboards happy? How many old Honda outboards do you see on the water these days? How many old outboards do you see that aren't Evinrude or Mercury? Bottom line is every manufacturer has lovers and haters. They all have sh*tty customer service. When you get a dealer/service shop that has some pull with the manufacturer you get results. When you get the shop that doesn't give a rat's ašš, you get problems.

JRJ

Commander

A problem with a 7 model year old motor? Bummer.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those motors have a sequence built into the ECM for this situation. The hot soak after shutdown. Has the ECM been looked at?

diver22

Cadet

The local repair facility has been great, they have suzuki send the perts and they replace it. So far I have 2 new fuel pums (high and Low pressure), 2 new ecm's new throttle body, new ignition system, new vacuum hoses and a new battery. So does anyone have any ideas? Suzuki doesn't, so the are researching the problem. What does that mean? they have been researhcing the problem for 2 1/2 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.