200hpdi Yamaha - correct spark plug?

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of the CD versions of the service manual for this motor (also known as the Z200 and year 2001) and the section that lists specs has a red line running through the type of spark plug required, which tells me that it either changed, or was wrong to begin with.

It DID say NGK BKR7ES-11 (that's crossed out with the red line).

On Boats.net they list NGK BKR7EKU as the type.

I don't want to order the incorrect type so your advice would be very helpful. By the way, I've never ordered from Boats.net but their prices on Yamaha supplies seem very reasonable.......anyone have experience with them or know of a better source?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 200hpdi Yamaha - correct spark plug?

The Yamaha parts web site states "See tech bulletin 0200." It does not list a spark plug for this engine. Call up Yamaha customer assistance at 866-894-1626. Give them your complete model number and serial number. Tell them that this note is listed in Cylinder Crankcase 2 section of the parts web site.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks BruceAML......I didn't know that Yamaha had a site for parts and service like that one. I just pegged it to my favorites and I'm sure it's going to be a valuable resource in the future.

I'll give them a call tomorrow about the plugs......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually its more simple than that, there was some running changes in the early z200's. this change MUST be identified by using the correct tech bulliten.
if the ign coil connectors are gray it will use the EKU style and if the connectors are both black it will use the ES style.
the EKU style plugs are difficult to gap. there are 2 tech bullitens on how to properly gap the EKU.
so look at the coil connectors for the proper plug type.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the cowling and the wires from the coils are black - thanks RODBOLT, I now know that I should be using the ES type, which is the kind presently installed.

As for the bulletins you mentioned......are those available to consumers or only to marine techs?? I'd like to see them if there is a link. Thanks for your help....when you're in Tampa I'll take you snook fishing!

Tony