Suzuki 1987 DT 85 BENT PROP SHAFT

Kevin.clark

Cadet
I have a 1987 DT85 Suzuki. Last outting I hit a stump and bent the propeller shaft. How difficult is it to replace the shaft, or what is a fair price to get the work done. Are there any special tools that I will need, and what manual is recommended for the job. I would like to do the job myself to save a couple of dollars, but I don't want to get in over my head. Any advice on this issue would be great.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Suzuki 1987 DT 85 BENT PROP SHAFT

you need tools
might be better to buy a new lower unit

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Very difficult job to do, and not recommended to try and do it yourself, it would be easier to look for a new lower unit .....

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a used lower unit off ebay and it was a good buy and operates great. Maybe you can find one used, but ask questions before you buy:
was it used in fresh water only/drive and gears operate ok/leaks/cracks anywhere in housing/gear oil condition/waht year is it.
Suzuki DT 75 & 85 lower units from 86 and 87 look to be interchangeable and from 88 into the 90's may be be interchangeable for your motor, but verify if in doubt with people here at the site or a good reptuable dealer/service tech. Check www.brownspoint.com for comparable motor parts illustrated breakdown and interchangeability.
PS if the lower unit you have has not ever been apart (especially if it was used in salt water and or did not get flushed regularly or winterized) all the bolts and the metal to metal surfaces may be very corroded and may not come apart without damaging all the parts and not worth the effort/dollars to repair.

Kevin.clark

Cadet

When you say i need tools does that mean none standard tools. I am sure I will need some sort of slide hammer to remove the shaft. I have ordered the manual, and when it arrives I will see how scary the job looks. In the mean time I will see if I can't find a used lower unit.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cost of the shaft and associated parts alone may be more than you want to pay. See the prices for the parts at www.brownspoint.com Click onto your motor and follow the link

Kevin.clark

Cadet

Thanks for the info... It looks like the lower unit on ebay will work for me... I assume all I will need is the lower unit and a seal kit to do the job.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kevin, Do confirm this unit will work for your motor and ask all and any questions to the seller that will comfirm the unit will work and is ok. Make sure the shaft length and no. of splines on upper and lower shaft are the same as yours.
IMO, I would plan on installing a new water pump impeller/kit. However, the bolts securing the pump housing to the case may be corroded and might break off. Ask others here if and when you get unit how they suggest the best method for removing these bolts. They break off easy if corrosion has set in. The owner may be able to tell you if the water pump housing has been removed recently and if the bolts have been removed recently.

Don't know what you mean by a seal kit?
I see the unit is from Florida and most likely it was used in salt water and if so may have some corrosion issues when removing bolts...

Kevin.clark

Cadet

A seal kit as in gasket and or o-rings that make the seal between the upper and lower unit. Thanks for all the help!!!

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We hope it all works out for you. Good luck