1997 dt150 suzuki flush port ?

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a cooling system flush port(plug) that can be used to flush contamination from system,I first thought it was the gearcase level/vent plug.How does this system work,the manual actually has no input(translation gap)?I have a 25" shaft that has always acted wierd and thought this might be the answer.Much thanks for any help!

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 dt150 suzuki flush port ?

Leave that plug in and ignore it. Use a "flush muff" (or whatever it's called in your area) to run your engine on fresh water to cleanse it. If you have a hinky lower unit problem, let us know what it is and let's see if we can help you.

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I almost think it's possessed,its almost like every flushing it does something different!This last time I could not water out of exhaust bypass although tell-tail there was flow,The engine got hot enough(hand on heads)that I shut it down,did this 4x.I even taped off upper water intake with muffs on lower.I've taken off thermostats too many times to mention.Then I put it in salt water and run boat and everything works fine.It has not been properly flushed in 2 months!

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's possible that the impeller's not pulling water as it should, and needs replacing--or checking for sealing if you've replaced it already. It WILL run hotter on the flush, and isn't designed to run extended periods on it. Your other option is to take it to a lake for a day or so...

deejaycee_2000

Captain

flush it in a big bucket or bin, and change impeller ....

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for input!When I bought engine Three months ago I got a reciept saying it was done two months previous.Although when inspecting engine tell-tail was not working properly,but ran great.By taking it out on a lake I guess woud be like flushing,is that the purpose of lake?By seal do you mean pump impeller seal? I have a water pressure guage,but with no instructions on installation,I was going to try to splice into tell-tail although this will not fix anything?I'm always intemidated by the first impeller job on any outboard because of past experience,it always seems like manuals always leaves something out plus it was just done by a supposedely qualified shop less than 6 months ago.I ran across a second rate manual sayiny that strange flushing port was only to be used to "flush contamination" like some kind of special cleaning,I just thought this may be the answer,but i guess not.Thannks for the help!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You only need to flush the motor after you had it out is salt water, you don't have to worry about the flush screw, you can flush the motor on muffs, it is just to get the salt water out the system so it doesn't clogg the motor later .... try wiggling a thin wire in the "pee-hole" to make the stream better ..... is there water sputtering out the discharge hole at the back of the motor below the cowling?

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The pee hole is fine lately,just none on muffs through upper exhaust outlet recently.I only run it in saltwater! Much thanks for help!

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something that might help diagnosing is that I just recently noticed water in bottom of lower engine cover(1")! It did get rained on for a night,but I'm pretty sure cowl was latched into position.