1991 suzuki dt140 cold start issues

icepick

Recruit
I have a 1991 dt140 that will not start easily for the first time used. After it has run it will start all day long with no issues. I have changed the plugs and have noticed a miss that is now gone. Number 1 cylinder was not firing and I assumed that this might be the cold start issue. Not the case.
When the engine is being started for the first time of the day after a days rest if you hold the choke solenoid lever just a fraction it seems to start better. The choke is operating but it just takes a slight extra movement. I have tried to adjust the linkage so it pulls a little harder but it did not fix the issue. I have had to start with fuel fog to get going for the past year. Just discovered this choke thing. I have done a compression test with 135 on all 4 cylinders. Could the carbs need to be cleaned? I drained the bowls and did not notice any water or debris comming out. I was thinking idle air setting possibly? Am I on the right track? Or should I still be concerned about the choke and what is the procedure for adjusting the linkage?
Thanks for any assistance

icepick

Recruit
Re: 1991 suzuki dt140 cold start issues

I just put in ngk spark plugs like br8hs I think. I read another post and he sujjests champion for suzuki which is the best plug and where can I get the propper plug # for this engine

deejaycee_2000

Captain

ngk and champion are both the same plugs in my opinion .... my 115hp have the same issues with the choke and I have to sometime manually choke it because the solenoid don't pull in enough, I found that because the battery is not strong enough .... I now use a big truck battery on mine and the choke pulls in far enough with that ......

icepick

Recruit

I do not think it is a battery issue I have removed and cleaned all connections and this boat is equipped with 6 batteries in total because of the trolling moter and they are charged after each expedition to guarentee use next time out. Also the motor will crank and crank with no issues other than the fact it will not start when cold. After that no problems for the rest of the day, starts immediately first try every time.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

are you pumping the primer bulb?
how about the cold start valve

icepick

Recruit

I have been pumping the primer ball and it makes no difference but I am not sure about the cold start valve, I do not know what that is. I will try and research that.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have choke plates, you do not have a primer, or cold-start enrichment system. Sometimes the 115/140 will act like that after an extended lay-up (a couple of weeks) because the raw fuel washes over the choke plate rods, cleans them, and lets salt air gum them up. It's one of the unfortunate things about true oil injection. I can tell you from first-hand experience that you should not install Champions in Suzuki or Yamahas. For whatever reason, the parts guy may show a cross reference, but the heat ranges are different for the suggested plugs, and I have replaced many a #1 piston for that exact cause. Leave the Champions for the Mercurys and OMCs, and put the proper NGKs (BR8HS-10) in your 'Zuki.

coolpuppy

Recruit

I just put in ngk spark plugs like br8hs I think. I read another post and he sujjests champion for suzuki which is the best plug and where can I get the propper plug # for this engine

well im not a tech put i had problems on cold starting ,,i brought a boat from a guy he had BR8HS-10 IN IT. WELL I put in the plugs the motor SAID to use took care of the cold start problem BR8HCS-10 the c stands for low votage
curent.. i know you think whats the differs well ipull back in the old plugs
BR8HS=10 And had the same problems hard to start so put back in the the plugs the motor call for BR8CHS-10 TOOK care of the proplem so i know every who reads this is going to say there no differes well there much be cause it took care of my problem on all cold starting from there on useing the BR8HCS-10 plugs. And you can get the pulgs tru ngk web site are at napa stores that run about 5.00 a plug hold this help you.

coolpuppy

Recruit

well my 1991 DT 140 HP SUZUKI CAUSE FOR BR8HCS-10... I BROUGH MY BOAT ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO HAD COLD START PROBLEM HARD TO CRANK IT HAD BR8HS-10 IN IT.. WHEN TRU ALL THE LITTLE THINGS I THRUOGHT IT WOULD BE SO I PUT IN THE PLUGS THE LITTLE STRICKER ON THE MOTOR SAY TO USE BR8HCS-10 TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM.... SO AFTER TWO DAY I PUT BACK IN THE OLD PLUG TO SEE IF I WOULD HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND I DID,,, SO BUT BACK IN THE NEW PLUGS BR8HCS AND HAD NO MORE COLD STARTING PROBLEMS THS C STAND FOR I THINK LOW VOLT CURRENT BUT IT MADE A BIG DIFFERS FOR ME.. WHAT I CANT UNDER STAND IF YOU GO TO NGK SPARK PLUG REF PAGE IT HAS NO CROSS REF FOR THE BR8HCS-10 PLUG,,, BUT SUZUKI SAYS BR8HS-10 WELL WORK IN 1992 DT 140 IF SO WHY WOULDNT GNK HAVE A CROSS REF FOR THE PLUG THEN ...MAKES YOU THINK,,,BUT LIKE I SAY THE MOTOR CALLS FOR A BR8HCS-10 YOU CAN GET THEM THR NGK WEB PAGE ARE AND NAPA STORE THERE ABOUT 5.00 EACH,, HOPE THIS HELP AND IF ANY ONE WHO READ THIS CAN TELL ME THE DIFFERS IN THE PLUG PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TELL ME I LIKE TO KNOW YOU WOULDNT THINK A LETTER C IN THE PLUG WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERS

D

DJ

The "wonderful" Mikuni carbs are a sore spot-for me.

I owned a 1995 DT-140. Same as the DT-115.

Those carb's (mine) had zippers on them. They need to be cleaned, at least, annually.

They're (Mikuni) finicky, at BEST. Gawd I hated that engine. A maintenance nightmare.

James R

Commander

These motors are beautiful. I run a 94 140 and have rebuilt several 115s, basically the same motor. The issue with starting is usually that the chokes dont close fully. Usually as a result of missalignment of linkages or the choke solenoid. Of course if the idle jets are not set correctly you will have a starting problem. Always use Stabil in your fuel and avoid all the carb clean problems.