Batery charging 115 yamaha 115ETLJ

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Im Trying to make sure that the battery is charging on my yamaha 115ETLJ (1986). I have the battery hooked up and not sure how to test that the battery is getting charged whyle the motor is running. Im going to eventually be using 2 Batteries with one of those switch things (Pic Included Below). Now I have just 1 battery hooked up to the motor right now without the switch thing. I am not sure how to make sure that the battery is charging once i start the motor. I have one of those micrometers or voltmeters that does ac/dc with a gauge on top. I know on cars what you do is test the battery with everything off and if you get a reading like 12v., when you start the car and test it in the same place you want to get something like 14v.-15v.. Im wondering if i just test it in that same manner? And also there are some wires that come out of my 703 control box. Now what im wondering is, are 2 of the wires that come out of that to hook up to the second battery so the second battery can charge at the same as the first? Really im not sure exactially how to hook up this system and that switch that i have i don't have any instructions for it. Just wondering if someone can help me out and explain how to hook everything up and how to use that Perko selector switch. Any Help would be greatly apreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Perko.jpg
    Perko.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Perko2.jpg
    Perko2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Batery charging 115 yamaha 115ETLJ

Ok I tested it like i said and when the motor is off the battery tested at something like 12.87. When i start the motor it slowly goes to about 13.88 or something in that range. So i figure thats a good thing! Now i understand Jammer that most people have a gauge for that and i do its just that im installing this motor on this boat for the first time. I have the tach working and the trim gauge working but i dont know what these wires that are coming off the controll box are. If someone could please help me out with that! I have a volt gauge to install on the dash its not a yamaha one though. And i need to know what the wires in the picture that come off of the controll box are for. I have to plug in a green and a black to the tach to get that gauge to work and the same for the tilt gauge. Im wondering if there are wires that come out of the control box (in the picture) can charge a second battery? The wires from left to right in the picture are: YELLOW, GREEN, BLACK, PINK, BLACK, DOUBLE YELLOW. I know that i need to have 12v leads somewhere to run all the accessories that im going to install into the dash. By the way im starting over with the dash as in its new and carpeted. So what i need to know is how to run the wiring for my accessories that im going to install. Now i know that the battery is charging at least where the battery hooks up at the back of the boat. One of my questions is: is that the only place where the motor will charge a battery?? When i have the motor off and i turn the key to the "on" position i tested some of the wires coming out of the control box and some of them are getting 12 volts. I just really need to know what each wire is supposed to be for. Thanks again guys so far you have answered all my questions!!

Attachments

• Controll wires.jpg
    Controll wires.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Voltmeter.jpg
    Voltmeter.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Batery charging 115 yamaha 115ETLJ

You will have to paralel those batteries to the motor to charge both. Yellow goes hot with the switch. Black is ground. Green is tack lead. Pink is temp.
The switch is to make and break battery connections. Ohm it and then it will make sense.