Suzuki Starter Question

bobcj84

Cadet
I just purchased a DT 100 2000 model year. I have two questions. First should my cable box ( side mount) make a beeping sound when I turn the key? The top mount control that came with the motor does. Second I am trying to turn the motor over with a battery charger. When I turn the key the starter motor spins counter clockwise but does not lift up and engage the flywheel. Is it that I don't have enough voltage and should use a battery instead. It seems when I turn the bendex by hand clockwise it wants to lift up but when it spins counter clock wise it does not.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki Starter Question

Are you sure that your battery polarity is correct ??? That could account for the beep and the backwards spinning starter.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Always start the motor with a battery, and never disconnect the battery terminals when the motor is running .....

bobcj84

Cadet

Thanks for the help but I found the problem. Yes the alarm should beep momentarily when key is turned. The horn in my controls sounded like a bag of rocks when I removed and shook it. Horn that came with top mount controls is exactly the same, one solved.Secondly I used a battery and motor turned over. My last problem is the starter solenoid has two terminals. One brings power to the starter. I believe the left post is where the positive cable from the battery goes. The problem I have is the terminals are 1/4". I have never seen a battery cable with a connector that small. But all the wiring diagrams I have seen show the battery cable going there. Can this be right? 2000 Suzuki DT 100

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Normally the negative terminal is smaller than the positive ..... you know that black is negative and red is positive right? ......

bobcj84

Cadet

Spoke to a Suzuki mechanic who says yes the positive terminal is 1/4" and negative the larger 3/8". Thanks for the help

deejaycee_2000

Captain

are you serious .... I am sure as hell, my black is smaller than the red .... I'm gonna have to go have a look, as you have me wondering about this now ... lol .....