Suzuki trim and tilt problem

smcavana

Recruit
We have a Suzuki DF 90 (2001) on our 1992 Arima Sea Ranger hard top, which we keep in salt water. In the 4 years we've owned the boat, the hydraulic tilt and trim unit has failed because the reservoir seal (which sits under the water) failed three times, letting all the fluid out, and the seawater in. The very expensive unit has been repaired once, and replaced once under warranty. After only about 100 hours it has failed again. Now we are looking at a repair bill of well over $2000, and although this seems to us be an ongoing issue that began under warranty and has never really been resolved, we've been told by the dealer that they will cover no part of it.
Other than the tilt and trim issue and a seized transmission, the Suzuki has been a great engine. We've heard that some of the initial problems that we've experienced in the 2001 were recognized as design flaws and improved in later models. Unfortunately that doesn't help us. Making a very expensive repair on something that will likely fail again doesn't make much sense.
Our options seem to be repowering or adding the CMC hyraulic tilt and trim bracket, which we could do for a fraction of the repair on the Suzuki. We're wondering if any other Suzuki owners have had this problem. Smcavana

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki trim and tilt problem

Did they just replace the reservoir o-ring? They should have also replaced the reservoir and all the o-rings at the same time and that would have kept the problem from coming back. $2,000+ is way to steep to replace the hydraulics assuming the trim motor is OK.

larsone

Recruit

I have a 2003 Suzuki DF115 (Johson JPL115) with the same problem. It's been repaired twice while under warrenty and this is the third time the pump motor is leaking oil and letting water in. I'm feeking there's more problems out there after reading your post. I hope more people wth this problem come forward.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

We have a Suzuki DF 90 (2001) on our 1992 Arima Sea Ranger hard top, which we keep in salt water. In the 4 years we've owned the boat, the hydraulic tilt and trim unit has failed because the reservoir seal (which sits under the water) failed three times, letting all the fluid out, and the seawater in. The very expensive unit has been repaired once, and replaced once under warranty. After only about 100 hours it has failed again. Now we are looking at a repair bill of well over $2000, and although this seems to us be an ongoing issue that began under warranty and has never really been resolved, we've been told by the dealer that they will cover no part of it.
Other than the tilt and trim issue and a seized transmission, the Suzuki has been a great engine. We've heard that some of the initial problems that we've experienced in the 2001 were recognized as design flaws and improved in later models. Unfortunately that doesn't help us. Making a very expensive repair on something that will likely fail again doesn't make much sense.
Our options seem to be repowering or adding the CMC hyraulic tilt and trim bracket, which we could do for a fraction of the repair on the Suzuki. We're wondering if any other Suzuki owners have had this problem. Smcavana

I have a good used PTT unit that I will install a new upgraded reservoir and all new o-rings and sell for $900 + shipping. I am an authorized Suzuki dealer. PM me if you are interested.

bezerk

Seaman Apprentice

some thing doesn't sound right. i have repaired a lot of these not one ever had another failer.the replacement parts are the updated parts ,metal reservoir plus all new o-rings .cost some where around 350.00 parts and labor.
why is the reservoir underwater all the time? is it in a marina. trailered .