My new(to me)1985 115 hp yamaha

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Hello gang. I just tonite picked up a 1985(or so i was told) 115hp yamaha. I need to find out as much as i can about this motor. I can read all but 1 digit on the plate that tells the model info. it reads 115E?LJ (i put the ? for the digit i cant make out) then there is 6E5 L 356260. I added a picture of the plate that i cant read the digit of. It has tilt with the pump and its oil injected. I need a key and a manual for this. I really just need as much info on it as possible so i can get started mounting it and getting it running. Any help on it would be greatly apreciated!!! Thanks guys

Attachments

• yamaha plate.jpg
    yamaha plate.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My new(to me)1985 115 hp yamaha

im hoping that someone knows what the numbers mean its 115E?LJ. I know (115) means hp (E) means ???? (?) is the digit missing that i cant read (L) means???? im guessing long shaft (J) means????? I just need to break it down i have no idea where to even begin. I want to get a manual and im going to need a key as well. This outboard has the seperate oil tank that is external. I can take some pics if needed i just hoped someone could help bread it down so i can order a manual. I just really would like to get started on this motor. It has t/t with 2 hydro cylinders if that helps any. Just wished i knes what the e-?-l-j meant so i can figure out what the ? is. And the year for sure. Please help if you can!!!! thanks!!!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The unreadable letter should be T for tilt and trim. The J means it is an 1986 model. The L stands for 20 inch shaft.
The place to start would be the factory service manual for that model.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I dont know where to get the factory service manuel. I dont mean to sound dumb but i cant find anything on the yamaha site for this. Is there somewhere specific i should be looking for the manual? Thans i thought it might be a T.!! and the J means its a 1986 Thank you so much!! the guy i bought it from said he thought it was a 1985, guess he was close. Just means its a year newer. I cant wait to get the motor mounted and get to work on it. Its a clean looking motor. Ill get some pics as soon as i can.