Yamaha 115hp Repair Manual & Prop Type

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm purchasing a 2002 VIP Center Console fishing boat this weekend and it has a Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke motor. Can anyone recommend the best Yamaha repair manual? The boat and motor are in excellent health at the moment. But the intent is to keep this baby a long time so I'd like to begin reading up and learning how to keep it that way.

Also, I would like to get a second prop. How can I tell which size and pitch I currently have? Thank you in advance for any help.

Stubby

gradyk

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 115hp Repair Manual & Prop Type

Manuals:

I have found that you need two manuals to accompany this engine because the drawings in the manufacturers manual have much to be desired as they don't even label parts - basically just exploded diagrams with some brief text on the side. So, I use these two in combination to troublesheet problems:

1. "Yamaha CV115E Service manual" published by Yamaha (around $60)
  2. "Yamaha Outboard Shop Manual 2-250HP- Two Stroke- 1990-1995" published by Clymer

I have two of these engines and they are hard workers. One has around 4,000 hours on it. I run it very rich 25:1 and just clean the plugs frequently. It runs around 6,100 RPM's flat out. Only fault with these engines is that they have a reputation for overheating. I suggest you run it hard for an hour to see if you get the warning alarm to see if there is a cooling problem with it.

Last edited:

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha 115hp Repair Manual & Prop Type

Great Information, Thank You.

I bought the boat from a private owner. It appears to have very low hours on it (previous owner claims only about 30 hours. When I ran the engine at his place of business it started fast, right from cold start. At that time I noticed the tach wasn't working. He said he'd have someone look at it and when I picked it up yesterday, their was no one around to tell me if it had been corrected. But I took the boat out for the first time today on the James River and of course the motor ran great, but no tach. AND the dang depth finder (Lowrance X85) was not reading any depth.

Being unfamiliar with the river I was very uncomfortable running fast without knowing depth or rpms. I did speak with one fisherman who claimed the channel was about 40'. I ran it up to 35mph for a short period.

Now I have to get those two things repaired before I'll be comfortable running it over time.