suzuki 02 140 four stroke rough cold idle

tunaman1

Recruit
My 140 Suzuki is running rough until it warms up than it purrs like a kitten and runs perfect. Has anyone come accross this. Trying to avoid the trip to the dealer.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: suzuki 02 140 four stroke rough cold idle

Two things you can try: replace the spark plugs (that cures 99% of problems); add fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. Whether you like it or not, diagnosing engine problems--unless it's the waterpump!--has been completely relegated to laptop computers, and each manufacturer has its own proprietary systems. If the plugs and cleaner don't work, you'll either have to put up with the huckle-buck, or head to the dealer.

artmacd

Recruit

This may be totally different but I was running my2005 DT 140 Suzuki in cold weather. It started running rough. After a few short lived incidents, the engine began to make horrible noises. In the shop, the dealer said the thermostat was stuck open and the engine was running cold. It was overloading the cylinders with gas. The gas got into the oil(unburned). Lots of gas diluted the oil. The engine is blown completely. Suzuki won't cover it just out of warranty. I'm screwed and looking for a new motor.....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Did you ever check the oil level or do any other maintenance when it started running rough?
I am sure you could have avoided this situation by trying to fix a sick motor.
How long did this go on before you locked up the motor?