1990 yamaha 150 hp wont start

skipjake04

Cadet
I have a '90 yamaha 150ETLD that was running fine and now won't start. Had it out the other day and key was "dragging" but then engine would turn over and after that would crank on first"bump". Thought it was battery or loose connection, but now T/T won't work. Replaced battery, checked every connection that I can find, all in-line fuses and nothing. My fuse panel works, i.e., lights, vhf, baitwell, radio etc, but nothing else. No dash lights either. This started and I got about a day out of her before we went belly up. any suggestions would be great, please help, I can't afford $85 an hour

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 yamaha 150 hp wont start

Have you checked the kill wire from the kill switch lanyard? Or you can also check the kill wire from the key to the motor. There may be a short there or something.

skipjake04

Cadet

I have checked it and all seems well. but would that keep my tilt and trim from working also. When I started having this issue I pulled the kill switch (when It finally decided to start up) and the motor died but I think I tried
the T/T and it worked??????????????????????????????????????????

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Look for a bad battery or bad connections on the battery leads.

skipjake04

Cadet

Battery is brand new delco voyager prem. I can start motor by crossing the poles on the the starter relay and I can raise and lower engine by crossing wires in tilt and trim box. I have checked and rechecked every possible wire and ground. everything on fuse panel works. Could it be the starter relay, since it also feds T/T box. Should I just run brand new harness. HELP

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Take apart the wiring harness where it connects to the engine harness and clean and slightly spread the male connectors. Spray some contact cleaner on them also each side. Apply 12 volts to the brown wire on the starter solinoid to see if it throws.

skipjake04

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The brown wire is soldered to the solenoid (my manual calls it a relay) I assume it's just terminolgy. All I get is a click(ing) noise, it's pretty hard but does not throw the starter. I cleaned all my harness as best as I can. I touched my two posts together and the starter kicked over. it's as if I just lost a wire or ground somewhere but I am lost. I sure hope you come back with my solenoid is bad.
Thanks again
edit
no I was wrong I did not run lead from battery. After thinking about what you said I tried it I guess your way. When I did, the starter did jump and I was able to start motor. I was using the pos. off of the starter relay the first time and that is why I was only getting a clicking

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

If I read this right you proved to have a bad solinoid or relay.

skipjake04

Cadet

Thanks for your help.
What I did was run a positive lead from my battery and touched it to the brown wire and the starter kicked over and motor could start. It was instant no clicking,dragging etc.

skipjake04

Cadet

Replaced starter relay today and still nothing. Any other ideas before I give up and take to shop???? What are the chances of an entire wiring harness going out. I am waiting on an electrician friend to come tomorrow (Ihope) to double check behind me to see if I missed something.

skipjake04

Cadet

FOUND IT. I started unwrapping motor harness after replacing the wiring harness from control box to motor. This did nothing so my motor harness was the last thing to check I felt. After unwrapping about half of it, a wire decided to come off in my hand!!!!!!!! I cut it, spliced new wire and we are off to the races.
Thanks to everyone for the input.