1991 Suzuki DT30 Fuel primer ball

fowler1187

Cadet
My 1991 Suzuki DT30 fuel primer ball geos soft. I replaced the fuel hose (primer ball included) as well as the male and female fittings on the motor side. This did not solve the problem. The engine also surges at WOT.
Help.............................

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 Suzuki DT30 Fuel primer ball

The bulb is just supposed to be a conduit, and not remain firm. Surging may be simply garbage in the carbs, OR a fuel pump diaphragm. Back the FP away from the block and squeeze the bulb. If gas squirts out of the pump, it's defective and needs new diaphragms. Otherwise, get a Suzuki tech to clean and balance the carbs. It needs to be done a specially critical way.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

GRID, I don't know if you know, but this forum is for people who wanto know how to fix their motor themselves ... asking us who know for help .... there is no reason why anyone can't clean their own carbs saving them $$ ......... anyway ... fowler1187 ... welcome to iboats :) ... you need to make sure you have proper ventilation at the fuel tank ..... surging at WOT is simptoms of a dirty carb, you might wanto rebuild and clean your carbs .... you can go to www.brownspoint.com for online parts .....

fowler1187

Cadet

Thanks, I've already changed the fuel pump. The motor never quits and always starts. The only problem is that it surges at WOT. It does this ramdomly. I thought that the soft primer bulb may be a part of the problem.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

no, don't worry about the soft ball, these engines are heavy on fuel so it does tend to go soft quick .... like I said, as long as you have proper ventilation at the tank you will be fine ..... the surge at WOT could be a little dirt on one of the high speed jets .... I got mine right again by running a couple of tanks of fuel system cleaner through it, the surge went away after the 2nd tank ... give it a try .....