Yamaha 15 HP 4 Stroke Missing Badly

rlytle1000

Recruit
I have had outboards for many years and I feel I know a fair amount about them. But I bought a 2002 used 15 HP 4 Stroke Yamaha Motor F15 A and I have been having problems with it. The main problem is that it does not seem to rap out and have the appropriate power. It misses under medium to heavy accelleration. It sounds like it is loading up under acceleration. And every since I bought the motor it floods easily. Sometimes I have to remove the fuel line to get it to start. Then after pulling the rope over and over and over it finaly starts. It seems to Idle just fine and the problem occurs when the throttle is at about 1/4 or more. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the Accelerator pump and put a new carb kit in it but after I took it out It acted almost exactly the same. Hard starting when flooded and loading up when accelerating. I am using the engine on a 16 foot lund. It is a tiller control model and It just doesn't seem to push this boat very fast. When ran in a tank of water in neutral the motor will not rap out. It just starts crapping out at a certain RPM. Not really all that high of an rpm. The motors compression checks fine. I'm suspecting electrical but not sure. I'm puzzled, Please Help. Ron

Last edited:

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Yamaha 15 HP 4 Stroke Missing Badly

sounds like u need to find a new certified yami mechanic
was he yami certified?