Any tricks to replacing seals on Teleflex Hydraulic steering on 95 175 Yamaha?

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
95 175 Yamaha - I plan to replace both end cap seals on a Teleflex hydraulic steering cylinder this weekend. Have the kit with new seals and wrench. This is a saltwater boat.

What are my chances of getting these 12 year old caps to break loose and unthread?

Any tricks to getting them to break loose?

Will I be looking at extensive fluid bleeding after the swap or should it just be a top off?

aleutianwest

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Any tricks to replacing seals on Teleflex Hydraulic steering on 95 175 Yamaha?

they should come off fairly easy you will loose fluid about a quater cup you might get lucky and only have to refill resivoir but bleeding is easy just time consuming

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any tricks to replacing seals on Teleflex Hydraulic steering on 95 175 Yamaha?

Project accomplished. Was prepared with the six pound sledge, but both end caps came off just using the provided tool in the rebuild kit. Modified the bleeding procedure a bit, but was able to do it on my own without any special connectors or tubing, just a bottle of SeaStar oil, an empty container for the waste oil and plenty of paper towels. Hardest part was removing the left and right end pieces that connect the stainless cylinder shaft to the motor. This did require a little encouragement from the hammer. Overall an easy project.