suzuki 70DF super stiff steering pivot point

murmrk

Recruit
99' Suzuki 70 4 stroke. Just bought the boat and the steering is stiff. O.K. must need a new steering cable. So I disconnect it from the motor and now the motor should swing freely, however it moves but is very stiff. O.K I need to grease it at the zirt fitting. Do that and grease comes out at bottom only and does nothing to help. We are talking about hugging the motor and pushing and pulling to get it to swing. So I am thinking some PB Blaster may do the trick. Undo the zirt fitting and load it up, spray down the top portion too. Several hours and 2 bottles later not any easier. Now I have heard of these becoming stuck and people heating them to break them free, but mine moves full motion it is just really hard to turn. Almost like a set screw is screwed down tight on the pivot shaft to keep it from moving. Nothing looks bent and the motor has very little corrosion. I just cannot believe I cannot get this to swing freely. Could it be so loaded with corrosion on the inside that it is making it stiff? Any ideas? When it does move there is no grinding or anything like that, just very very stiff.