'97 suzuki dt150 cooling problems ?

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When flushing engine today water only came out of pee hole and a little out of the holes around lower unit lip(where lower unit bolts to mid-section), nothing was coming out of big hole in the center below the rear of cowl. It seemed not to want to suck water,forcing water out the sides of muffs more than usual.The engine sat for 12hrs. after using in salt water,no buzzer went off, but I only ran it for 5min. although water felt very warm. The engine ran normal last evening.I've only flushed engine 6x but does this sound normal?
Any help would be highly appreciated!

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '97 suzuki dt150 cooling problems ?

If the engine has not had cooling service in two years, then you should have the water pump serviced, new thermostats and water pressure relief valve checked. Also at that age you may want to have the heads pulled to make sure the cooling passages are clear.

Those engines can be finiky on the muffs, especially if it's an XL (25") engine. Also, don't forget you probably have a secondary water pickup just above the prop which should be taped off when flushing.

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '97 suzuki dt150 cooling problems ?

Yes it is a 25'' shaft,I also changed impeller and inspected thermostats 3 months ago but I have not taken heads off.But since I did this I've irreguler water flow,one day water comes out pee-hole but none out of other outlet then next time vise versa(only during flushing)but it is fine when I run in water.The engine only has 310 hrs.I basically wanted to leave any carbon in chamber b/c I only have 100 lbs compression(cold) dead even between them,which everyone says is normal.Manufacturer certifed mechanic's say the low compression increases durability plus lowers hp b/c they have same block size from 150-225hp.I guess I should pull heads and clean and then mill or use thinner gaskets if I want more compression.What do you think?By the way I've tried taping off upper inlet but that makes no difference.