Suzuki control box adjustments

reelez

Recruit
We have a pair of 2004 Suzuki 200 hp outboards on our '87 Grady. Lately, the shifting in to reverse on the port motor is getting more difficult. I really have to pull on it and then it jumps into gear so I'm going in reverse at a high RPM. I took the cover off the control box and there are three screws for each motor. It looks like one screw located at the lower aft of the box might be some kind of tension adjustment. There are two other screws positioned on the top of the box and they are both secured with locking nuts. One is positioned forward of center of the box and the second is positioned aft of the center of the box. They might be some type of adjustment for shifting forward and reverse.......but I'm not sure. Anyone have any suggestions or facts on what these screws are or how I can eliminate my shifting problem?? Thanks. Ron Sr.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki control box adjustments

Those adjustments have nothing to do with your problem. Those engines have a specific procedure for adjusting the shift and throttle cables and should be done by a dealer. You may have a worn cable and trying to adjust around it is just asking for trouble.