87 Suzuki DT150 SuperSix overheat on one side

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started my motor in driveway yesterday with water muffs on. I wasn't getting to much peehole water coming out. but some was coming out. This motor was just out from mechanics shop for carbs rebuild, and lower unit service, impeller replaced, and I was checking it out after I hooked up electrics to dash that I had a problem with. Thats s now fixed, so while checking motor out I was revving it to top end revs and putting it in gear and revving it. Telltale was still putting out but not very well. After I shut it off water jacket on driver side was cool to touch while other side was fairly hot. Do I have an obstruction in block? Or was muff testing the problem. Should I just take it to the lake and test it with cover off and see if its all right or run it back to the mechanic? I don't want too blow the motor on first trial run.

ggrounds

Recruit
Re: 87 Suzuki DT150 SuperSix overheat on one side

I am having the same problem any ideas would be appreciated

JUSTINTIME

Captain

lake test
sounds like a restriction
never go past 1500 rpm on the muffs

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, no high RPM's on muffs, now that i've already done that what damage did I do or could have done. I restarted it last evening and just idlled it and finally got muffs adjusted to where there was a good telltale stream, and after about 5 min I felt the water jackets and the hoses on heads and still have port side hot to touch and starboard side cool to touch. By lake test and being able to run high RPM's I take it will possibly flush out the obstruction. I was thinking maybe I should take off the water hoses on the heads and fish a wire into the block and see if I can inspect the passage for anything in there. Otherwise I am thinking I might overheat port side too much and damage a cyl/piston. Am I right in thinking that? Or is it maybe a "normal" situation.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took my boat back to mechanic, result was a blockage in port side bank. Removed top water hose connection on head put water stream from garden hose in both directions and finally got water flowing and was back to normal temps. I'm glad I didn't lake test it yet, I probably would have burned it up on that side had I not notices how hot it was. Mechanic said had he not gotten a blockage cleared he was thinking it might have been thermostat. Now to the lake! WOT, wind in my face time!