Wiring harness help for Yamaha 703 Control

firecan

Cadet
I bought a 2004 T9.9ELR Outboard with 703 Control unit. I am having problems with the wiring harness for the outboard. It has a 7 pin harness that goes from the motor to the 703 controls. As well the motor has the positive and negative leads that go to the battery. The wires from the harness enter the control unit and go to the different switches with the exception of the pink wire which is left blank. There is also 5 wires that leave the control unit and go ?. They are color coded blue/green/yellow/2Xblacks. The problem I am having is the motor will not shut off via either the switch or the safety lanyard switch. I am thinking that one of these 5 wires needs to be connected to something (possible the battery). The harness from the motor has 7 wires pink/left blank, white/to ign switch & safety lanyard, brown/micro switch then to ign switch, blue/comes in with harness wires but not connected to any switches and is one of 5 wires which leaves the control unit, green/comes in with harness wires but not connected to any switches and is one of 5 wires which leaves the control unit, black/to safety lanyard and ign switch, red/to ign switch. The motor starts and runs fine but when I turn the key back it doesn't want to shut off. Also are any of these wires used to charge the battery or is that done through the cables that leave the motor and go to the battery for starting, and just reverse the energy flow when the motor is running? If you can't understand my explanation I can send you diagram I have made up any help would be greatly appreciated as it's going to take about 2 weeks for a local dealer to get me a manual. Happy fishing

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wiring harness help for Yamaha 703 Control

Grounding the white wire kills the ignition. If either the kill switch or switch will not kill the motor, you are missing the ground connection somewhere. If the kill switch kills the engine but not the ignition switch ohm the switch it may be bad.The five wires are for guages and accesories. The blue and the green wires are trim wires for adding a switch. There should also be a red for this. Black is ground. There is a darker blue which goes hot with the switch and the yellow goes hot with the switch. The pink is for temp guage.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

WIRINGCOLORS.jpg

firecan

Cadet

Thanks so much, thats a great help, I will give it a shot. The white wire comes from the motor into the control unit, it then slices and goes to the switch and to one side of the safety lanyard switch. The motor was working perfectly on the guys boat I bought it off of and the white wire didn't go anywhere else. I am thinking one of the 2 black wires which exit the control unit(seperate from the black wire which comes in with the harness) is probably suppose to actually be a white wire. I am thinking its the wire on the other side of the safety lanyard which is black and really should be white. There is no white wire exiting with the 5 wires which are seperate from the harness but there is 2 blacks and I am assuming one of these should be a white, so if I ground both that should work. Thanks for your time once again.