suzuki dt225 piston scored how hard to replace

summajet225

Recruit
99 dt225 2.6 liter EFI scored piston on the top of engine. What cause this to happen and can i replace just the scored piston? I am sure the cylinder will need to be resleeved and also diagnose what led up to this failure. Anyone have similar thing happen and a solution they used as well as any kind of pictures for visual? Also where is a good parts source for replacing the items mentioned above? I have contacted the local suzuki dealer here and they want to rebuild the engine and it would be about $5,000. I read other post for yamaha that mention they replaced the bad piston and resleeved/bored the cylinder and used an oversized piston/rings and it worked. I have a repair manual and it is not much detail about the 225 model.

I took the heads off this evening and one of the pistons is scored and has a hold near the center of it and the sleeve is scored also. I looked at the other 5 cylinders/sleeves and they appear to be in great shape. It is possible to have just cylinder that failed resleeved and replace with a new piston and ring? I looked in the repair manual by seloc for suzuki outboards and it says it is a combustion related failure that fixing the mechanical problem is an easy fix and determining what caused it is more indepth. Has anyone else experienced this similar type of situation????

I would appreciate any help someone can offer.
Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: suzuki dt225 piston scored how hard to replace

post pics
u can just fix that cylinder

summajet225

Recruit

I apologize bit how do i post a pic on this site? I'm new to this. I also would like to thank you for replying to my thread. I am working tomorrow a long day and hopefully at the latest will be able to post pictures by tuesday evening.
I also need to test the thermostat to make sure both are opening properly. Have you heard of a piston having a hole in the center and also melting the piston and ring? I thougt i heard this model has a boron sleeve and another once can be pressed in. I purchased the Seloc reapir manual for 1988-03 suzuki models and i am not sure as to what might have caused this failure. I will get the pics posted by tuesday and if you can think of something i might look to trpubleshoot for the failure i would grealty appreciate your input/suggestions.
Thank you,

JUSTINTIME

Captain

insertimage.gif
that symbol is to post pics
u need a hosting web site like photobucket

failure can be
air leak
to lean
to far advanced timing
too hot of spark plug