Yamaha Enduro 15 HP Stator Problem

geoffschultz

Cadet
I am cruising in the Caribbean and just happened to be in a location with Internet access. I only expect to have Internet until Saturday noon, so if anyone can provide help in this period, I would be very appreciative.

I have a 15 HP Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke outboard which is about 5 years old. It's always run like a champ. Today when I went to start it, it wouldn't even begin to start. I'm not well versed in the terminology of outboards, so please bear with me. I am a good trouble shooter.

There's plenty of fuel available at the carburator.

I don't see any spark at the plugs.

The cut-off switch appears to be working fine. It's open when the "key" in installed and closed when pulled.

I believe that the power source for the plugs is called a stator and a rotator. There are 2 wires coming from the stator assembly, but I don't see any voltage coming from them. I've tried jumping them to ground and I see no spark. The sealed unit that they lead to is labeled "63 V", so I'm assuming that the input is 63V and that I should be able to see a spark from it. I also assume that it bumps the voltage to a much higher level for the plugs. I've checked the output of the sealed unit (which leads to the plugs and see no spark.

There's a magnetic switch located next to the fly wheel which closes briefly on every 1/2 rotation of the flywheel. This appears to control the timing of the spark and seems to be working fine.

I was leery of taking the flywheel off to expose the stator/rotator as I don't know how it's assembled and/or what parts might drop off and how it needs to be aligned. I'm assuming that this is where the problem is. Any suggestions as to how to proceed and what I need to be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Yamaha Enduro 15 HP Stator Problem

find the CDI box and find the white wire
un-plug the white wire, if u get spark u have a bad stop switch or ess
let us know​

geoffschultz

Cadet

I got the fly wheel off to access to stator coil. The two wires which attach to it show an open circuit. I assume that there should be some resistance. Is this a good assumption?

-- Geoff

JUSTINTIME

Captain

what color are they?
u need to test them together
the green/green is the charging coil

geoffschultz

Cadet

There are only 2 wires coming off the stator as this is a 15 HP motor without a starter/charger/lights etc. So, given that, is my assumption correct that it should be a complete circuit with some resistance?

-- Geoff

JUSTINTIME

Captain

what color were the wires
brown and black or brown and blue
if it is pre 96 u should have 90 ohms between the 2
if 96-94 u should have 310 between the 2
if u get nothing between the wires take one lead to the stator and 1 lead to the engine, if u get a reading u have a breakdown in the insulation
if u get readings when testing between the wires, then u need to test trigger and then coils

geoffschultz

Cadet

The wires are brown and blue and I see an open circuit.

-- Geoff

JUSTINTIME

Captain

sounds like bad stator
u really need to test volts, but u need a dva

geoffschultz

Cadet

I obtained access to a fellow cruisers motor which was the same model as mine and I popped the cowling off, unplugged the the stator (you should have seen the look on his face when I did this) and took a resistance reading and saw 360 ohms. Mine is an open circuit. When I pulled the starter I saw voltages in the teens as compared to millivolts on mine. Clearly mine is dead. It was just good to verify where the problem was.

-- Geoff

geoffschultz

Cadet

The new stator arrived by mail boat and solved the problem. As an FYI, the resistance of the coil was 310 ohms. All is good. Headed south. Thanks for the help!

-- Geoff