suzuki 5 hp cooling problem

crowley1

Recruit
Have a 3 year old Suzuki 2 stroke since new. Cooling water recently will not flow from rubber tell tale under engine head, with engine running, unless the rubber access cover to shift linkage is removed. Water does flowl from tell tale when engine stopped and the flushing attachment inserted and garden hose hooked up.

Installed new coooling water impeller kit with out improvement in water flow from tell tale. Pick up tube from pump to head is clear as is screen for water pickup.

Tell tale access to engine block appears free of salt buildup.

any ideas?

crowley1

marioscib809

Seaman Apprentice
Re: suzuki 5 hp cooling problem

crowley1 said:
Have a 3 year old Suzuki 2 stroke since new. Cooling water recently will not flow from rubber tell tale under engine head, with engine running, unless the rubber access cover to shift linkage is removed. Water does flowl from tell tale when engine stopped and the flushing attachment inserted and garden hose hooked up.

Installed new coooling water impeller kit with out improvement in water flow from tell tale. Pick up tube from pump to head is clear as is screen for water pickup.

any ideas?

crowley1

marioscib809

Seaman Apprentice

crowley1 said:

any ideas?

crowley1

marioscib809

Seaman Apprentice

marioscib809 said:
crowley1 said:

any ideas?

crowley1

ihave the same problem ayear ago with my 3.5 nissan and after i replac the impeller kit with no progress eventually i finished to open then i found that salt was builded up in an amazing manner, i think that when using hose pipe you press water with an abnormal pressure compared with the motor impeller, so my advice is go on and open both cylinder head and also block cover,after only 3years of use i didnt expect any jam bolds because that is the only difficult task.do not try to use motor before solving this problem because otherwise the cylinder head will suffer the most and material will deteriorate if you persist.good luck
mario from malta europe

deejaycee_2000

Captain

i won't go to that extent .... first try to wiggle a thin wire in the tell tale hole, spiders and bugs that make a nest in there can block the hole ....

boashna

Cadet

it is a way for you to know the impeller is working . it is not used to cool the engine . change imeller every couple of years and dont worry about it. my tow boat does not have a temp gauge and i just ignored it for past 4 years.