Yamaha F150 2006 Timing Belt

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to take some tension off the timing belt, but I cannot figure out how to back off the tension on the pulley
Thanks

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha F150 2006 Timing Belt

I assume that you want to change it. Right? From experience if the belt is fiddled with too much it, and out of tension( to tight.. to loose) it will break. It happened to me on my old car. Yes I fiddled with it. expensive lesson.

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last time out I had some belt squealing when I tensioned the belt it seems to have a off center cam adjustment plus being spring loaded could not figure out how to back it off, from a visual inspection or from the book, and would like to make sure I am in specs
Thanks

JUSTINTIME

Captain

do u have the manual?
there is a spring that sets tension

here is how to do it

remove the slack from the belt on the port side of motor by slightly rotating the crank

with the adjuster bolt loose, the spring will put proper amount of tension on the belt

once the slack is removed from the belt, the bolt on the tensioner can be tightened

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The question was how you take the tension off the belt, or reset the tensioned pulley.
Thanks

JUSTINTIME

Captain

bluefish said:
The question was how you take the tension off the belt, or reset the tensioned pulley.
Thanks

read the statment

with the adjuster bolt loose, the spring will put proper amount of tension on the belt

Propnuts

Cadet

bluefish said:
Thanks

The timing belts on Yamaha 150 4-strokes use a hydraulic type belt tensioner. It is non-adjustable. You release it with a allen key and a stopper\holder tool which will keep it in a relaxed position. If you get to aggressive and impatient with the allen tool, you will strip the area that the allen tool sits in.

When this happens(as the thread starter has probably unfortunatly learned) you will trash the tensioner and it will need to be replaced. When you try and release it you need to put pressure on the allen tool in a slow type movement and wait for the tensioner internal cylinder to collapse .

The spring type with bolt is used on the HPDI belts.

JRJ

Commander

Do Suzuki's use chain instead of a "belt"? thanks

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No Miss Happes yet just seem like a lot of backpressure, the hydraulic explains that
Thanks