Puffs of fire from carbs on Suzuki DT50

Criss

Recruit
I cleaned the carbs on my Suzuki DT 250 yesterday by taking them off the engine and removing the float bowl and used spray on carb cleaner to rinse all of the varnish off of the interior of the carbs. I also removed the floats and needle valves and cleaned the jet openings and needle valves with the spray. I also sprayed the jet, or what appears to be a jet, that looks like it would pick up gas from the bottom of the float bowl. It's the part of the carb which goes through the hole in the float. I did not use new gaskets because they all appeared to be in good shape.
After I installed the carbs, I fired up the engine with muffs for the water, and before I reinstalled the carb covers or cowling. I noticed that the engine idles nicely, but every once in a while it sort of hiccups, and when it does a small amount of fire is visible in the throat of the carbs, one carb at a time, never in all of them at the same time. It was after dark when I got everything put back together and ran the engine. I have run this engine without the covers before and never noticed the puffs of fire in the carb throats before, but I have never run the engine after dark when they would be visible either. What do the experts on this list think is causing this, and do you think this could be considered normal for this engine? Thank You ahead of time for any help you can give me on this. I won't feel safe enough to go fishing until I've either fixed this problem or know that it's OK.

Criss

Recruit
Re: Puffs of fire from carbs on Suzuki DT50

I also meant to tell you that there was a considerable amount of varnish in the carbs and that I had taken them apart for cleaning because the engine wouldn't idle or run at higher RPM's.

Criss

Recruit

Criss said:
I also meant to tell you that there was a considerable amount of varnish in the carbs and that I had taken them apart for cleaning because the engine wouldn't idle or run at higher RPM's.

Criss

Recruit

Criss said:
I cleaned the carbs on my Suzuki DT 250 yesterday by taking them off the engine and removing the float bowl and used spray on carb cleaner to rinse all of the varnish off of the interior of the carbs. I also removed the floats and needle valves and cleaned the jet openings and needle valves with the spray. I also sprayed the jet, or what appears to be a jet, that looks like it would pick up gas from the bottom of the float bowl. It's the part of the carb which goes through the hole in the float. I did not use new gaskets because they all appeared to be in good shape.
After I installed the carbs, I fired up the engine with muffs for the water, and before I reinstalled the carb covers or cowling. I noticed that the engine idles nicely, but every once in a while it sort of hiccups, and when it does a small amount of fire is visible in the throat of the carbs, one carb at a time, never in all of them at the same time. It was after dark when I got everything put back together and ran the engine. I have run this engine without the covers before and never noticed the puffs of fire in the carb throats before, but I have never run the engine after dark when they would be visible either. What do the experts on this list think is causing this, and do you think this could be considered normal for this engine? Thank You ahead of time for any help you can give me on this. I won't feel safe enough to go fishing until I've either fixed this problem or know that it's OK.

Criss

Recruit

I read my earlier post and noticed that in the body of the message I stated the it's a DT250. It is not a DT250, but rather a DT50 that I'm having the problem with. Idon't know where my mind was when I wrote this?
So ignore the DT250, and help me find a solution to my problem with a DT50. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

if your carbs is as dirty as you say, you should rather take them off and soak them in carb cleaner for at least 24 hrs, and then blow with compressed air ... it is the only way to propperly get all the dirt out ........

JUSTINTIME

Captain

never ever soak your carbs
it takes the sealer off of them

look it up in any factory service manual