Oil for Yamaha 115 hp 4 stroke

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil for Yamaha 115 hp 4 stroke

I didn't (and wouldn't) use Mobil 1 until after my Suzuki DF70 was well broken in, DB.

There is a theory that synthetics lubricate too well and prevent wear in of ring and bearing surfaces. There is also a theory that incomplete seating of rings is partially responsible for some 4 strokes "making oil".

My Suzi dealer recommended petro oil through break-in, then Mobil 1.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Without the FCW rating, venturing into automotive oils can be risky. They require TCW3 in 2-strokes and FCW in 4-strokes. I don't know how picky they are, but I wouldn't gamble til warranty is expired.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a good question DB because i will hit my 50 hr oil change this year. I guess I will go with Yamalube.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can you read ?or more importantly.
can you comprehend what you read?
if the answer is no, sell your boat.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I have to agree with JB, plan old dinosaur oil until its through the break in period. If you put less than 200 hours a year on it I would stick it dino oil since you need to change it once a year anyways. I've seen what happens to an engine thats broke in on synthetic, my buddy built a $$$$$ engine for his car 7 years ago and put the "best" oil possible in so he wouldn't hurt his investment. At 2000 miles the rings still didn't seat and we ended up pulling the engine, honeing the cylinders, and installing new rings. Rings were fully seated in only 50 mile using regular cheap mobil oil. He switched to synthetic at 2000 miles and its been great since and it made 20hp more on the chassis dyno at 2000 miles with the rings seated properly.