starter motor for suzuki dt 55 trouble

whitefield

Recruit
hi there, from france, i have a suzuki dt 55 oil injection 1985-1987 outboard, i have been working on the starter,the boat was left for 2 years,in a field,in england ,i towed it to france and have had it in a barn for another year,last night i fully charged the battery and there was just a clicking sound when i turned the key, the battery leads became very hot and there was a crackaling sound comming from the starter motor ,so i pulled the starter motor ,(i have turned the engine over by putting it in gear and turning the prop ,it turns over no problem) i pulled the starter motor apart cleaned everything thing and put it back on , but still just clicking, i tightened all the connections and still just clicking any tips all was working ok before the boat went to the field,also the tilt and trim motor did not work so i pulled that apart cleaned it and put it back together, it now works fine, so when i turn on the ignition the tilt and trim will work if i use the the switch on the throttle/gear lever(controls) any tips on how the starter should be cleaned and any suggestions

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: starter motor for Suzuki dt 55 trouble

Re: starter motor for Suzuki dt 55 trouble

sounds like a bad solenoid or starter
try running power straight to the starter to see if it turns over