1990 Yamaha Excel 225,shift linkage replaced

kykeka

Cadet
I have a mechanic working on my '90 225 yamaha motor,he is replacing the Shift Shaft. He removed the powerhead,major headache he said took 2 people all day to torch bolts,some kind of body shop spreadder used,broke all bolts,needs new mounting plate,ect. Right now my bill is up to $3000 not counting tax or more parts.How much should this cost me , has anyone had this done? If so how long does this hold up plus should I be worried about powerhead or lower unit going next after the beating to free rusted bolts!Thinking about selling boat(1990 Proline W/A Cuddy) really like it,just dont know if I can trust repairs. I live in Tampa,Fl. area. Thanks Mark

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 Yamaha Excel 225,shift linkage replaced

Even though the cost of repair seems extremly high, they can be a SOB to get apart. The replacement shaft should be the newer stainless steel one and outlast the engine. Don't know of any reason, if properly done to affect the other parts such as the gear case or powerhead.

kykeka

Cadet

Thanks,just seemed awful expensive and a lot of money.

Capt Ken

Commander

Typical of a sixteen, oops seventeen year old motor. Almost forgot we're into 07. There was shortcuts I've learned over the years when those bolts won't come out or twist off even with heating. I usually just drill a hole, just below the block into the adapter plate, dead center of where the bolt is. I then drill thru the bolt leaving about three eights of an inch of the bolt sticking out the bottom of the block. After the block is removed, the bolt can usually be taken out with vise grips then the bolt in the adapter plate can be driven out the bottom with a hammer and punch. Being the hole you drilled in the adapter plate doesn't go anywhere, after remounting the powerhead, I fill the hole with marine tex. I've tried every trick known to man and this seems to work the best.

kykeka

Cadet

so around 2500-3000 labor sounds about right?

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a search on "Broken Bolts" on this website and you will see Capt Ken's powerhead removal process. Capt Ken is spot on. Using the Capt's or rodbolts process will reduce the labor time for removing broken bolts to about an hour and removal of the powerhead to about 3 hours max doing it yourself. Make sure he is replacing the shaft with a stainless steel shaft. Costs about $70. The tech that is repairing your Yammie is not aware of this bolt removal process and you are paying the price for his lack knowledge!! Maybe he should check in here to learn something new!! Just my $.02!