2005 Suzuki DF9.9 (possibly DF15?) Vibration Problem

beaufort bob

Seaman
Bought new DF9.9 in box, August 2006. Vibrates like crazy at some throttle settings and fairly smooth at others. (This is NOT a propeller problem!) Loose items in boat resonate along with the motor! Fuel line has vibrated free twice! Two authorized Suzuki dealers have witnessed this problem but Suzuki says the motor is running according to specs. (Suzuki would not pay one dealer for replacing the flywheel when trying to troubleshoot the problem.) The Suzuki Product Brochure advertises this to be a "smooth running and vibration free" motor. IT IS NOT! Suzuki Customer Service denies there is a problem but will not comment on the brochure advertisement. I believe this is the same motor as the Johnson 9.9/15, so maybe Johnson owners could comment?

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2005 Suzuki DF9.9 (possibly DF15?) Vibration Problem

Mine doesn't have this problem ...
Did you actually find someone else with this problem ?
( I can see your postings all over the net :)

beaufort bob

Seaman

lifeisfun said:
Mine doesn't have this problem ...
Did you actually find someone else with this problem ?
( I can see your postings all over the net :)

...no one else thus far ...maybe I AM in the twilight zone!

...regards, bb

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you push the dealer for new motor ?
If they are unable to fix it it has to be replaced ...

beaufort bob

Seaman

lifeisfun said:
Why don't you push the dealer for new motor ?
If they are unable to fix it it has to be replaced ...

thanks for replying lifeisfun!

...I have pushed for repair and I have tried to get it replaced and/or a refund ...SUZUKI IS NOT INTERESTED IN HELPING ME! ...and the dealer I bought it from says it's up to Suzuki to stand behind their product ...and GOOD LUCK trying to get Suzuki to help ...they just want me to go away ...by the way, I've been working on this since August with no results thus far!

...regards, bb

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the 2005 DF6 and it also vibrates a lot but I've got it attached to a 3.1m tinny which isn't overly engineered. I have put rubber tabs behind the bits on the boat which make the most noise and this has helped. They are light weight and have lots of torque so I guess you have to expect some vibration. Have you seen another DF9.9 operating smoothly?

beaufort bob

Seaman

Thanks Whiteman!

Interesting about your "rubber tabs" ...would they have been put on the two ends of the motor tilt mechanism by any chance? ...if so, did you have to split the mounting bracket for the motor to install them?

Yes, SOME vibration, especially since the two cylinders (on my DF9.9) travel in unison, rather than opposed, but Suzuki ADVERTISES that this is a smooth running and vibration free motor, and mine is anything but! (BTW, mine is on a homebuilt 5m plywood skiff.)

Regards, BB

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In his post over on the Johnson/Evinrude forum this was a Johnson motor but since they are same, it's a moot point. Until this latest revelation (motor is on a plywood skiff), I felt it was perhaps a defect . However I will assume this plywood skiff is home made or a kit and perhaps the transom is resonating due to inadequate stiffening. Vibration can be tough to track but if the engine is a little harsh to start with, a flimsy transom will amplify that hashness.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would be nice to see some pictures ....

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By "rubber tabs" I mean pieces cut from a sheet of compressed rubber which is around 5mm thick. My tinny was vibrating badly where the seats attach to the ribs and I am able to squeeze some the the rubber behind the rib to deaden the vibration somewhat. I have not done anything to the engine mounting bracket. Most of my use for this is in open water - I launch off the beach where I live and fish the adjacent coral shoals - so there is always plenty of slap, slap, slap from the small wave chop which hides the worst motor noise. I probably wouldn't use this motor on plywood as I'd expect to see it shaken up at low revs.

Otherwise, this motor of mine is a ripper. I plane at 13 knots and use about 2 litres of fuel per hour. And it is very light (25kg) for its power rating.

beaufort bob

Seaman

Silvertip said:
In his post over on the Johnson/Evinrude forum this was a Johnson motor but since they are same, it's a moot point. Until this latest revelation (motor is on a plywood skiff), I felt it was perhaps a defect . However I will assume this plywood skiff is home made or a kit and perhaps the transom is resonating due to inadequate stiffening. Vibration can be tough to track but if the engine is a little harsh to start with, a flimsy transom will amplify that hashness.

Thanks for replying admiral!

You restated many of the facts I had already stated. You will also notice I pointed out on my Johnson MB post that it was the same motor. I was trying to get as many FACTS as I could related to my problem, primarily to ascertain whether other folks might be having the same problem as me, or whether mine was an isolated case. It is interesting that you diagnosed my problem having NO idea of the construction of my boat. You ASSUMED it is flimsy. The problem I tried to describe has been witnessed by TWO "authorized suzuki dealers." One even tried to repair this "imaginary" problem by replacing the flywheel (at his OWN expense since suzuki "stiffed" him on the repair under warranty deal.) BTW, the transom is EPOXY LAMINATED to 1.5 inches. All seams are quadrupled 4-inch tape and the plywood itself is WEST technique epoxy.

ALL that I am trying to do is FIX this POS motor so that I can ENJOY my boat. I sure as heck wish I had gone Yamaha or Honda!

BB

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

This thread is getting pointless without pictures .... :(

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like you have not brought back to the selling dealer - why not? If it had this problem since new, and the selling dealer cannot find the problem, he will just let you try another engine, and if that runs OK, then he will swap it out. The DF9.9 does not run as smooth as the DF15. Maybe you should try a DF15 from the selling dealer and if that works, just pay him the difference.

beaufort bob

Seaman

lakensea said:
It sounds like you have not brought back to the selling dealer - why not? If it had this problem since new, and the selling dealer cannot find the problem, he will just let you try another engine, and if that runs OK, then he will swap it out. The DF9.9 does not run as smooth as the DF15. Maybe you should try a DF15 from the selling dealer and if that works, just pay him the difference.

...have had this to TWO "authorized suzuki dealers," one of which was the selling dealer ...are you kidding that they will let me try another enginer? ... they said "they" observed another one run the same as mine, but was I invited to the show? (one guess) ...he replaced the flywheel on mine (does that indicated he observed a problem?) and indicated no change in vibration ...by the way, the DF15 is the same engine as the "detuned" DF9.9.... did I mention that same dealer told me zusuki stiffed him for the flywheel replacement? ....how about THAT for standing behind a "warranty" ...HA! HA! HA! ...WHAT warranty?

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob,
Let me first say that I have indeed heard some bad things about Suzuki warranty claims and although I've heard bad things about Everybody's warranty claims, Suzuki does seem to stand out a bit...
Now, everybody wants to help you, that's why we are all here, to learn and help...you've been asked for pics of the mounting...for a reason. I've seen FACTORY mounted motors mounted incorrectly and seasoned mechs miss it so I have to wonder if that's an issue here...on some boats ESPECIALLY 'flat' bottomed ones 1/2 inch (vert.) can do crazy things....just wonderin'... pics would help

beaufort bob

Seaman

yamamarinetech40 said:
Bob,
Let me first say that I have indeed heard some bad things about Suzuki warranty claims and although I've heard bad things about Everybody's warranty claims, Suzuki does seem to stand out a bit...
Now, everybody wants to help you, that's why we are all here, to learn and help...you've been asked for pics of the mounting...for a reason. I've seen FACTORY mounted motors mounted incorrectly and seasoned mechs miss it so I have to wonder if that's an issue here...on some boats ESPECIALLY 'flat' bottomed ones 1/2 inch (vert.) can do crazy things....just wonderin'... pics would help

...THANKS yama!

...right now I don't have a way of providing pictures to the interested, but if you read my earlier posts, you'll have noticed that my transom is 3 sheets of epoxy laminated plywood (1-1/2 in total) ...the transom is only 5 feet at the widest, and there are seats w/ floatation on either side of the transom, also glued... the motor is bolted in addition to the factory screw mechanisms... I am NOT a novice WRT motors, but this is my FIRST 4-cycle outboard ...also notice that TWO "authorized dealers" have worked on this thing ...also be advised that I've spoken with other local shops and found that this vibration in small 4-strokes may be more common than I thought ...maybe something suzuki is aware of and wants to pretend doesn't exist?

...anyway, thanks for your reply and input!

...regards, bb

beaufort bob

Seaman

beaufort said:
yamamarinetech40 said:
Bob,

...THANKS yama!

...right now I don't have a way of providing pictures to the interested, but if you read my earlier posts, you'll have noticed that my transom is 3 sheets of epoxy laminated plywood (1-1/2 in total) ...the transom is only 5 feet at the widest, and there are seats w/ floatation on either side of the transom, also glued... the motor is bolted in addition to the factory screw mechanisms... I am NOT a novice WRT motors, but this is my FIRST 4-cycle outboard ...also notice that TWO "authorized dealers" have worked on this thing ...also be advised that I've spoken with other local shops and found that this vibration in small 4-strokes may be more common than I thought ...maybe something suzuki is aware of and wants to pretend doesn't exist?

...anyway, thanks for your reply and input!

...regards, bb

Just wanted to bring this up one more time to see if there might be any new input into this thread. As a footnote, I sent a letter to the VP of Suzuki Marine a month ago. I haven't had a reply as of this posting. (My wife says I need to "give up" and chalk this to experience.)

Regards, BB

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

For what it is worth my 250hp vibrates at slow speeds and in a slow turn,but once on plane all goes away. Do you have a friend that has a boat that you can try it on.

beaufort bob

Seaman

bernieb said:
For what it is worth my 250hp vibrates at slow speeds and in a slow turn,but once on plane all goes away. Do you have a friend that has a boat that you can try it on.

Thanks for replying bernieb,

Don't need to try it on another boat, trust me. This is a problem with the motor that TWO "authorized" dealers have witnessed, but can't fix. I think it is a design problem with this two cylinder. Have heard other stories locally about this same problem, but no hard proof, yet. I'm trying to get an attorney to pursue this, but my funds are limited. Stay tuned.

Regards, BB

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Two cylinders in unison like a Harley.Have you ever seen a Harley Davidson run and idle talk about vibration!
And its present all through the rpm range.I assume the cylinders fire at 180 degrees of each other.
I wonder if what ever vibration damperes they are using may be defective or installed incorrectly.I wonder if
you could add some sort of damper to the transom.Perhaps a rubber pad the full width of the treansom that is not bounchy perhaps it would absorb some of the vibration.Or maybe some sort of liquid filled bladder hung on the inside of the transom might resist vibrating with the motor.Kind of like a jell pack used in treating injuries.
Maybe it is a bent or out of balance driveshaft.I wonder if you could run the motor momemtarily without
the lower unit attached?To see if it is smoother.