Can I install a fresh water flush port on a 96 yamaha 50hp

karlster

Cadet
I keep my boat moored in a salt water marina and am struggling to simplify flushing the motor after use. The muffs my dealer sells are not very user friendly in the water.

I see yamaha has a freshwater flush port on their newer motors and I am curious if this can be retrofitted to an older (1996) 50 hp yamaha four stroke.

I have spent an hour or two searching this site and also googling and haven't found anything conclusive. There appears to be a product called an mst guardian but I didn't get much info off their website and it seemed to stir up some controversy in the message thread where it was mentioned.

To sum up. I am looking for a means to flush my motor in the water, without having to use the ear muffs. My goal is to snap a quick hose connect onto the motor and let water run for five minutes while squaring the boat away and in the process do an adequate flush job.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
Karl

imported_Caper

Recruit
Re: Can I install a fresh water flush port on a 96 yamaha 50hp

I've got a '96 90hp and asked my dealer the same question about a fresh water flush upgrade. He said it can't be done

It's earmuffs or nothing it seems.

Maybe others on this forum have a diffent answer, but that's what I was told by the Yamaha mechanic

karlster

Cadet

Caper said:
I've got a '96 90hp and asked my dealer the same question about a fresh water flush upgrade. He said it can't be done

It's earmuffs or nothing it seems.

Maybe others on this forum have a diffent answer, but that's what I was told by the Yamaha mechanic

I suppose a better question is to ask if there is an online source that illustrates the plumbing of a fresh water flush port and another illustration of how the coolant circulates in the motors factory equiped with a flush port vs motors without a flush port.

Then I could see for my self just how impossible it is to add one.

If anyone knows where I can find such a diagram please post a reply.

Thanks,
karl

JoLin

Vice Admiral

<deleted>

Sorry, mods- I misread the year on the original thread. Didn't mean to resurrect an ancient one.