1984 Suzuki 85 HP no reverse fixed by a good old boy

nathan104

Seaman
When I boat this boat (81 Tidecraft V15), the reverse did not work. I was hoping it was just an adjustment and not broken gears. Took it to a shop that was only gonna charge $45 for an adjustment. Drove 30 miles there to be told that as of that day, they no longer are taking outboards. The mechanic told me he would work on it himself for less than the shop would charge anyways. We talked for awhile and I ended up dropping the boat off at his house.

Jusat talked to him and he said he adjusted it and the reverse was working again but that the teeth on the gears were worn down quite a bit and if it will sometimes miss in reverse and might not last too long. A set of gears cost around $400. Well, he said that he could take a die grinder to it and sharpen the gears back up and readjust it again and it should work just fine. He's charging me $125 to do this, check the water pump, and change the lower unit oil. Not bad I think..

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1984 Suzuki 85 HP no reverse fixed by a good old boy

that's not bad at all ..... tell us how it runs when you get it back ....

nathan104

Seaman
Re: 1984 Suzuki 85 HP no reverse fixed by a good old boy

UPDATE:

Wanted to let everyone know that this worked just fine. He used the grinder on the rounded down gears and adjusted it to punch in. No problems, problem fixed.

Definitly a lot better than paying $400 for a new gear set.