Yamaha 130 HP 1988 running really bad now due to bad gas

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Yamaha 130 HP 1988 - In an attempt to run my fuel tank dry for winter storage I noticed in my clear glass fuel filter - it was full of rust, water and crap (mounted after fuel water separator) just before running out of gas. Boat was running perfect prior to this happening all summer, now it won’t idle and acts like its running on 3 cylinders.

When I got home I pulled and cleaned glass filter and filter on engine, gave it fresh fuel from an external tank and it still runs like crap. :'(

What’s next?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 130 HP 1988 running really bad now due to bad gas

Next is disassembling and cleaning the carbs.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

yep carbs are junked up
new filters are in need also

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Ya, that's what I thought so I pulled them off and tore them down. Blew carb cleaner threw every hole and blew with compressed air. They really didn't look dirty at all though. Will put back on tonite and see if she runs any better. Can't imagine it being anything else unless I just happen to loose a coil when all this took place, what the chance? I did change the plugs, that did not help.

One other question, this old 4 cyl Yamaha is suppose to run on all four all the time, right? It doesn't drop a cyl at idle or anything like a 6 cyl, is this true?

Thanks

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

It is not supposed to drop a cylinder at idle. A water flow test on the carbs before trying again should tell you if they are OK now.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I thought a water flow test was more helpfull for a WOT or high RPM issue where you can't keep the bowl full of fuel because of a restriction behind the needle seat. I suppose if it were completely clogged and zero fuel was entering, this could prove helpfull.

I have them assembled ready to mount, and did not do a water flow test. Air flow seemsed the same on all even though I know this is not an accurate test. I will mount and run and see what happens.

This is an idle issue and seems to have a complete loss of one cyl.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

When you are searching for a fuel restriction problem, any test can be helpful. The water flow test has helped pinpoint an idle problem in the past.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

All better now, runs like a watch again and put to sleep for the long winter, damn the season is too short here in the north, thanks for your help!

Bill