Quicksilver Optimax / DFI oil for premix use?

Hello guys,

My friends Merc. Optimax 115 outboard is stolen, and now he bought a fourstroke Yamaha.
He has still 4 gallons of Quicksilver Optimax/DFI synthetic blend 2-cycle oil left, and does'nt need it anymore of course...

I have a Yamaha c85 without the autolube (1991)
My question is: Is it possible to use this oil for premix in my motor?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Quicksilver Optimax / DFI oil for premix use?

Absolutely no reason not to. the caption made it appear as a question which had been posted to the wrong board.

Thanks Ray, for your answer.
On what board should I post it than?

I was a bit worried about the bottle not having the TCW3 approval on it, and the Optimax/ E-tec / HPDI engines running on much higher temperatures as the regular lubed outboards...

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

It just sounded like a question for the Mercury board until I read it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It would be best NOT to use DFI oil in your traditional outboard. Read the label on the containers.

Early containers of Opti oil stated that it was NOT for use in motors that mix oil with the fuel. Later bottles say not for ALL two stroke motors.

Thanx ray and Seahorse,

Nothing on my label that says anything about other engines and not to mix.. If i look for DFI oil on the net in the US i see a different label than we have in Europe. (mercury is making their stuff for europe in Belgium)
Anyway, I tried to pre-mix it already in a clear jerrycan 2 weeks ago, because lots of people say that it won't mix, and if it does, the oil should probably sink to the bottom after a few days... Well, all of this is bullshit. After 2 weeks the mix is still a mix and i don't have any layer of oil on the bottom of the tank.
Last saturday took my boat out on the 50:1 premix and it worked very well. 50:1 seemed a bit to rich on the oil side cause on low speeds the engine had some more smoke from the exhaust, but the engine ran smoother as before on the lower revs, even when it smokes the same as on my regular oil.
After these 10 gallons of fuel i'll try it on a 70:1 mix.
Should be possible when this oil has the quality they say it has....
I'll let you all know.

Thanx again!