'01 Suzuki DT70 Starter Replacement

pepping

Recruit
Any hints on getting the starter out of a 2001 Suzuki DT70. Mine is intermittant and I want to replace it, but it looks like the flywheel and the housing below it need to come off too. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '01 Suzuki DT70 Starter Replacement

Ahoy, Pepping.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Before you replace the starter, what have you done to verify that your trouble is in the starter? Three of five starters that are changed don't need changing.

When starting becomes intermittent it is most often a corroded connection in the starter high current wiring or a bad solenoid.

Your starter is pretty new to have worn out the brushes.

If you disconnect all large wire connections, starting at the battery, going to the starter and then back to the battery, and clean them carefully before reconnecting them you may find your trouble has gone away.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

pepping

Recruit

Here's the problem: once in a real blue moon, the starter will turn at 1/2 speed and not engage. I can completely isolate the starter, put 12v directly to the starter and it will still turn at 1/2 speed. Unfortunately, messing with it will fix it for a couple months, then it happens again. Something is either loose or corroded inside the starter and I don't want to take a chance of getting stuck (again). So, I would like to put in a new one, but I can't get the old one out. Any tips?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Okay. Sounds like the starter itself needs fixing.

Not familiar enough with your engine to give you any useful advice except to get a Service Manual.

Maybe someone will come along who can explain how to do it, but if you plan to work on the engine you need the manual anyway.

Good luck.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

You have to remove the flywheel and stator housing to remove the starter on a DF70.