87 Suzuki DT150 SS ignition problem/need owner manual

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got a DT150, was demo'd running when I went to get it and when I get home and mounted on my boat, no spark, getting plenty of gas ..
what could I look for first that might be likely from traveling with it laying on oil tank side for 675 miles? I thought maybe the oil flow sensor, tried to disconnect and then bypass by putting jumper to the wire harness connectors to the sensor, nothing. So what else could it be? Plugs are wet from gas when inspected. I haven't check all of the harness, CDI is behind plug coils, so haven't pulled that off yet to check it's connectors. or haven't looked under flywheel cover area yet, but other than those areas, everything seems connected. Read somewhere about a kill switch on these but unable to see anything like that around the power head area. Have pushed the reset low oil warning button a hundred times with no results.
Also, if anybody has a owner manual for a Dt150 Super Six, I'd gladly pay them for a copy. Specifically I need info on the remote cable hook up - mine has 2 cables one coming from remote to engine, that hooks into plugs inside engine, then another one that is not connected to anything except on engine side but nothing seems to be matching around remote, so I'm guessing it goes under dash for instruments, but then there is another short cable coming out of box that might be for the instruments, too. I'm cornfused! Any help appreciated.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 87 Suzuki DT150 SS ignition problem/need owner manual

I had the same problem with mine and the kill switch wasn't hooked up. I would look at that first.....its the kill switch cord next to the key.....it may have fallen off in transport.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

spego said:
I had the same problem with mine and the kill switch wasn't hooked up. I would look at that first.....its the kill switch cord next to the key.....it may have fallen off in transport.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

No kill switch by the key on my remote.......seems to me like it must be something to do with oil flow sensor, I just can't believe it could really be something else like a coil or trigger or stator problem when it ran fine when I picked it up to bring home. But I'm no expert for repair or troubleshooting 2 strokes...its a whole new world than a 4 stroke!

blugunnman

Cadet

go to --www.themotorbookstore.com and type in suzuki dt150 in top left search area think its about 30 bucks.good luck

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, Blugunnman - Just got my manual from them a couple of days ago, now I have to start checking components and see whats not right. Think I will change the CDI box since I have that extra one and see if that gets me spark

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ign systems are ign systems it wont matter if it was a million stroke made on mars.
trons is trions.
study the manual and follow the test procedure.
its very rare to see CDI failures on suzuki stuff.
if you have a suzuki control box it had a kill switch at one time. some were magnetic and built into the cap.

while that system is old its reliable but parts are very expensive.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent all day yesterday doing test after test......I still have a 500 pound boat anchor. I have a kill switch on remote, that is ok though. I have voltage going into CDI but nothing coming out to ignition coils. One thing the manual doesn't tell me is how to test the Oil reset module located on back of coils pack under the CDI unit. The manual says this item frequently faulty. But manual doesn't seem cover a test procedure to determine whether its good or bad. So I guess I have to buy it and see if thats the problem or a new CDI, very pricey way of fixing this motor!

makoshako

Cadet

I also have an '87 DT 150 SS. Did you by the Clymers Manual? I think that is the one that I have. There is a pretty good schematic in the back. The Oil Pressure Reset button is a pretty simple momentary on switch. I was able to test the button with a simple resistance test. Mine was good, however I still have an alarm going off that won't quit. My reset button is on the side of the cowling

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I did get the Clymers manual, oil reset button on my motor was good also, I think the "low oil warning reset unit" which is located under the CDI unit might be bad. When I got the motor home and was trying to see whether there were any wires loosened, I found a connector set unplugged inside the back cover where the spark plug coils are located and they were taped off, based on schematic in manual is from CDI to Reset unit but even if its bad, these were disconnected when I saw the motor run at where I picked it up. So I'm still trying to understand what has caused this motor to stop running. Kill switch is working, based on continuity test, key switch is working, providing 12 volts into feed wire into CDI unit but nothing is coming out of CDI. So I concluded that the CDI is damaged even tho others on here or another forum I get on have suggested a CDI failure is remote and a rarity. So its off to the mechanic that knows what he's doing and I have to pay the price to get it repaired. Or worse case - part it out and try to recoup my money that way.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Suzuki CDi hardly ever go bad, it is easy to say it is the cdi unit, especially from a macanic, cause it is easy for him to charge you for it, when your original still working one is left in there ..... you speak about ...... "I found a connector set unplugged inside the back cover where the spark plug coils are located and they were taped off, based on schematic in manual is from CDI to Reset unit but even if its bad, these were disconnected when I saw the motor run at where I picked it up" ....... that is your problem right there, check your manual and try and repair it the way it should be, suzuki wouldn't have added that it if it wasn't suppose to be there .......

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, thanks, SeniorChiefPetty Officer, when I got the Clymers manual and I found this set of connectors disconnected, I reconnected them, and still have no spark. I keep thinking its something real simple that has just hidden from me, but for the life of me, can't figure what it is. One thing that I'm wondering about is the "low oil reset unit that the reset button is wired to. if these wire connectors (connection to CDI and the low oil reset unit) were disconnected, and I saw it running in that condition is it possible that the low oil reset unit is/was bad and that is why these connections were separated and taped off. If the low oil reset unit is bad wouldn't that stop the motor from running, somehow grounding the spark to keep engine from running under "no oil" condition? Also the coils under the flywheel, I tested for resistance, from the wire connection points outside of the flywheel down in the wire harness inside the back compartment. Should I go ahead and remove the flywheel and check everything out in that area, i mean, could the coils have moved and now not be in adjustment to cause a pulse to the CDI? I'm literally trying to just get some reaction from the motor, but so far the tests I've done have caused me more confusion about what might be the problem and I don't want to be buy parts unless I'm sure of what it is that needs replacing.