50 HP Suzuki (arctic) Spirit outboard free revs

jhay77

Cadet
50 HP Suzuki (arctic) Spirit outboard free revs

I just purchased a 15' sport boat with a late 70's 50 hp suzuki arctic spirit outboard. The motor will start and run, but even with the throttles completely closed it immediately revs way up. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar experience? Also, where can I find parts for these old outboards?

jhay77

Cadet
Re: 50 HP Suzuki (arctic) Spirit outboard free revs

jhay77 said:
I just purchased a 15' sport boat with a late 70's 50 hp suzuki arctic spirit outboard. The motor will start and run, but even with the throttles completely closed it immediately revs way up. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar experience? Also, where can I find parts for these old outboards?

I spoke with a marine mechanice today, he said it's almost definately an issue with timing and to remove the flywheel and check the magnets, also the stator. Anyone have any experience or suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I do have the service manual, but it is very vague on the whole issue of the stator assembly.

I got a lower unit for my 1978 50 HP Spirit Arctic (Suzuki) from Twin City Outboards. You might try them for your power head stuff. --- good luck.

scottbeef

Cadet

You mean Twin City outboards in Shokape? I remember that place. Thats where we found my buddies STOLEN boat motor. Someone stole my buddies motor. He put an ad on Craigslist with a picture of it as it had a custom paint job on the hood. he got a response that someone had spoted it at twin city. When I got there they had his motor on their showfloor with a different engine hood on it. The cops were not surprised. Sounds like they have a reputation for buying stolen motors. I would NEVER buy anything from them.