Replacing Pressure Relief Valve

reloc

Cadet
i have a yamaha 200 txrt. after reading this forum i determined my symptom of over temp alarm at idle was the pressure relief valve. while replacing i pushed the grommet into the "engine". i'm a novice and i want o avoid taking cover off. any ideas?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing Pressure Relief Valve

hahahahah
I am glad I NEVER done that :)
use a bent coat hanger wire and fish it out.
it can only drop an inch or so.
cover removal is a LAST LAST LAST resort if its a saltwater motor.
I fish a couple out every year that others push in. I use a wire hook to aid when I insert them so if they go in I pull them back out.

reloc

Cadet

rodbolt said:
hahahahah
I am glad I NEVER done that :)
use a bent coat hanger wire and fish it out.
it can only drop an inch or so.
cover removal is a LAST LAST LAST resort if its a saltwater motor.
I fish a couple out every year that others push in. I use a wire hook to aid when I insert them so if they go in I pull them back out.

reloc

Cadet

thanks for the reply rod. when I purchased the new parts the parts guy said that yamaha changed the design of the valve. It's shorter and rounded off at one end. 95 Yamaha 200TXRT. Does that ring a bell with you?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep, but unless the original valve is missing I never replace the valve, just carefully clean the pocket and install a new grommet.

reloc

Cadet

Rod thanks for your help, the hanger worked after 2 hours of probing around. Your trick, when installing the new grommet saved my butt too. I pushed the new one in when installing but luckily took your advice and had the hanger in place to catch it. If you wouldnt mind can you describe to me how that "valve" works. It doesn't make mechanical sense to me.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

as the block fills with water under pressure from the pump we need to maintain several PSI in the block at all times, this will vary between 2PSI and about 20PSI from idle to WOT. water under pressure has a higher boiling point and can keep all voids filled.
so to keep from over pressuring the relief valves opens slightly and dumps excess water into the exhaust stream.
if it sticks open or leaks much at low speed the block wont fill and the hot horn sounds in a few minutes of low speeds.
thats why inspection of the valve/grommet is a 200 hour OR yearly check.

wjob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does Suzuki use a similar pressure relief valve system?

thanks

reloc

Cadet

I took the boat out this weekend and the repair worked great. Thanks for the help.