suzuki dt 50 cooling problem

shtims

Recruit
Hi,
I have a suzuki dt 50 2 stroke 1983, problem is it refuses to pump water when running. I have tried the outboard in a test tank of water and turned it over with an electric drill on the flywheel, it pumps water fine (plugs out) when the plugs are put back in and started, it does not pump water,at any rpm, i just get a vapour, possibly steam of exhaust gas.
I am thinking that there is back pressure into the water circuit when running, any help would be greatly welcomed, as im at a total loss here.

thankyou

shtims

Recruit
Re: suzuki dt 50 cooling problem

deejaycee_2000 said:
Have you replaced the impellar?

Hi,

I have replaced impellar and pump housing base plate and gasket, i have also checked and replaced the exhaust casing gaskets, and powerhead baeplate.

thankyou.

shtims

Recruit

deejaycee_2000 said:
did you put the impellar in the correct way around?

Hi,

100% sure its on correct way as it can only seat one side correctly, due to the recesss for the spline key.

thankyou

lord121645

Cadet

shtims said:
Hi,
I have a suzuki dt 50 2 stroke 1983, problem is it refuses to pump water when running. I have tried the outboard in a test tank of water and turned it over with an electric drill on the flywheel, it pumps water fine (plugs out) when the plugs are put back in and started, it does not pump water,at any rpm, i just get a vapour, possibly steam of exhaust gas.
I am thinking that there is back pressure into the water circuit when running, any help would be greatly welcomed, as im at a total loss here.

thankyou

lord121645

Cadet

Have you looked to see if there is debris in the cooling system. I found black rubber particles in the foot of my 50 hp Yamaha and cannot find out where they are coming from. The engine overheats as a result of the debris.

shtims

Recruit

lord121645 said:
Have you looked to see if there is debris in the cooling system. I found black rubber particles in the foot of my 50 hp Yamaha and cannot find out where they are coming from. The engine overheats as a result of the debris.

Hi,

i have checked for debris, bearng in mind it pumps water with plugs out and turned over clockwise with drill, would this not indicate a free flow of water through the entire water circuit.

many thanks

Hi,
I experienced a similar issue on my 1994 DT55 recently bought, during the previous maintenance it was erroneously installed (by a maintenance center!!!) the impeller of a DT25/30 that has the same diameter but it’s thickness is little less, but sufficient to prevent the correct water circulation. Are you sure that the impeller is in contact with both the surface of the water pump and the relevant seat? Moreover take into account that on my present engine and on the previous one I had, I’m often obliged to clean the water pilot discharge hole with an electrical wire because it obstruct itself very easy. Finally a warning: when you have been removed the lover unit to examine the impeller DO NOT insert manually the gear, on this model it’s easy to cause a complete disconnection of gear train!
Good luck