Please Help! 1996 Suzuki 225 not charging/no spark on 3 cylinders

jimspitler

Cadet
My motor would run fine for 1-10 miles, then it would bog down, idle rough and only be able to operate at 1500 rpm max. Occasionally, at idle or after a shutdown and start, it would "cough" and idle normally. It would run just fine and do the same thing a couple of miles later, causing me to believe it was fuel. While this was going on, the battery would only charge for about 5 min after the 1st start of the day. I've confirned this by using my multimeter with the battery and it'll show 12.4 V and 5 amps toward the engine(yes, I'm sure). The voltage will also decrease with an increase in rpm. I've changed the fuel and added water absorber/new seperator, cleaned the fuel vapor seperator and filters with no luck. Now, I've confirmed that the left side (#2,4,6) aren't getting any spark at all and the other side is fine.

jimspitler

Cadet
Re: Please Help! 1996 Suzuki 225 not charging/no spark on 3 cylinders

Also, there are no indications on the gauge, sight or sound. They appear to test good on start.

Happy Coast Guard Day!

D

DJ

Are you running this engine on a built in fuel tank?

If so, try running the engine with the fuel filler cap loose.

jimspitler

Cadet

The pressure seems to be fine. I've had the filler cap off, and on, no difference. I've turned the valve on the outlet of the tank closed while the engine was running and the bulb started to suck down. After I opened the vavle, the bulb went back to normal. The bulb feels full and normal. Thanks for the response, but I'm leaning toward electrical since there is no spark on the left side and it won't charge the battery after about 5 min.

Please help

D

DJ

I do not disageree that it may be electrical. Just trying to eliminate the simple stuff first.

You're on the right track.

jimspitler

Cadet

I've also disconnected the oil level switch with no change. I'm pretty sure that when the engine was "bogging" down, it was actually losing the left side spark to 3 cylinders. It used to fix itself, but thankfully it's completely broken now.

I've purchased a new battery and the connections were tightened with a wrench.

Please Help!

bezerk

Seaman Apprentice

my bet would be the cdi .it's in back of the black box inbetween the heads

jimspitler

Cadet

I would think so, but since it lost 3 cylinder on the same side, I'm not sure. It does't have water flow sensors and it only has one oil flow sensor, so I'm not sure if it would only fail one side. I took the thermostat out of the bad side with no change. The problem has changed a little and it doesn't have spark when it starts cold either.