1990 Yamaha 225 solenoid

consie67

Seaman Apprentice
1990 Yamaha 225 solenoid

heres another one. while chasing down the trim wires I managed to cause a total lack of power to the motor. NO trim & no starter, like a fuse has blown. I took out the solenoid which looks very old but has worked till now. Help please. thanks Cons

consie67

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 Yamaha 225 solenoid

consie67 said:
heres another one. while chasing down the trim wires I managed to cause a total lack of power to the motor. NO trim & no starter, like a fuse has blown. I took out the solenoid which looks very old but has worked till now. Help please. thanks Cons

Reply to myself: If solenoid is bad I should be able to jump the terminals w/screwdriver, right? I get nothing. There is power to the solenoid but it won't jump the starter, no click-dead. Possible ign. switch? sealed unit looks fine but could be bad inside/ grounded out?? Any thoughts? thanks, Cons

cookiedoh

Seaman Apprentice

A solenoid usually has 4 terminals, 2 little ones to switch and bridge the two large terminals. Use a voltmeter or 12v light probe to check for power between the large red wire coming from the battery to the solenoid and ground terminal on battery. If this is successful have someone turn the key and check for power between the wire coming off the solenoid going to the starter and ground. If that didn't work, while still having someone try and start it check for power between the two small terminals.

A bench test is the best way to diagnose a solenoid problem, apply 12v power to the small switch terminals, if you get a click check for continuity on the large terminals.

You could mess around with applying power direct from the battery to the starter, make sure the kill switch is working, but again I think a bench test might be a safer choice... Odd that you lose t/t too, check battery connections?

Seems odd to loose trim/tilt and starter, battery connections clean? Check inline fuses/circuit breaker?

consie67

Seaman Apprentice

yeah, I am going to bolt on the batt. connections. See my post, "dead helm disease". Where are fuses /breakers? thanks for the advice. Cons

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

There is an inline fuse located in the wiring harness normally near the starter solenoid. Very likely to be blown. Which solenoid are you looking at? What was the original problem?

consie67

Seaman Apprentice

Ray said:
There is an inline fuse located in the wiring harness normally near the starter solenoid. Very likely to be blown. Which solenoid are you looking at? What was the original problem?

Ray, I had a situation where the helm would go dead after a hour or so of running, (no ing. or trim), and then after a long while (overnight) it would be OK again. Got a tip to check main battery cables and sure enough the pos. cable was corroded. By-passed the old one & seems to be the fix. Thanks for the reply-now, about my fuel problems......... Cons.