2002 Yamaha 225 OX66 cutting off

Going Online

Recruit
About a month ago was headed offshore when the motor was running great about 5300 rpms. went about five miles and the engine shut off. It started back up started to go again and at approx. 3500 rpms it shut off again. Would run as long as I did not try to push the engine hard. 3000 rpms was it. Took it to the shop, mechanic cleaned the fuel filter screen and changed the plugs. I took it out again and about the same place the engine shut down started and started back up twice. From the third starting the motor ran like a top for sixty mile round trip. Today, I took the boat out for a fishing trip and about twenty miles into the trip running over 5000 rpms, the engine shut down started up and ran fine until I went over 5000 rpms This happened three times. As long as I ran in the 4500 rpm range the motor ran great. has anyone had or seen this problem, if so any recommendations?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Yamaha 225 OX66 cutting off

yep but mostly on pig sheet maintained rigs.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes,my 2001 efi 250 did just that and it was a toss up between the main system relay (200 bucks) and water in the fuel. Try separate gas supply, if your three low pressure fuel pumps are original just put new ones in, check vst filter thats inside the tank, is the red ring floating high in the filter before the three pumps (water) .onboard water/fuel separater clean? check anti-syphon valve under floor gas tank if you have one.

us010144

Cadet

i had similar, smooth water puts less demand on fuel system. After I had fuel filters replaced, all was well.

kiksav

Cadet

Same exact symptoms with a 225 OX66. Replacing all filters, fuel lines, primer with a Yamaha primer bulb, VST filter, engine filter, 3 LP fuel pumps, no anti siphon valve and checked the vent lines. I'm also going to clean and re-connect as many connections and grounds with dielectric grease as I can get my hands on. If that doesn't work I have a spare ignition switch and harness to try. Also be sure that where your wiring and hoses enter the motor the fuel line is not constricted. My motor shuts down cold at anywhere from 3800 to 4400 RPM. Restarts immediately and can run for 10 minutes of 5 hours. No rhyme or reason. I'll be testing all this Saturday and keep you posted.

yamahanewbie

Recruit

Could be an O2 sensor issue... If its bad or really dirty, idling will be sketchy and the motor will bogg down at higher RPM's... It will effect gas consumption as well. Should be cleaned or changed every 300 hrs or so..

Same exact symptoms with a 225 OX66. Replacing all filters, fuel lines, primer with a Yamaha primer bulb, VST filter, engine filter, 3 LP fuel pumps, no anti siphon valve and checked the vent lines. I'm also going to clean and re-connect as many connections and grounds with dielectric grease as I can get my hands on. If that doesn't work I have a spare ignition switch and harness to try. Also be sure that where your wiring and hoses enter the motor the fuel line is not constricted. My motor shuts down cold at anywhere from 3800 to 4400 RPM. Restarts immediately and can run for 10 minutes of 5 hours. No rhyme or reason. I'll be testing all this Saturday and keep you posted.