Racor vs, Yamaha 10 Micron Filter

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At the advice of my Yamaha mechanic, I am using the Yamaha 10 micron water separator filter instead of the Racor with the sight bowl. He gave me an explanation why the Yamaha was better but I do not remember what he said. All my buddies are using the Racor with the bowl but that filter looks so small compared to the Yamaha.<br /><br />What is the advantage of using the Yamaha filter? If you see water in the bowl of the Racor is it too late? I have also heard that when the filter gets full, water will pass through to the engine, correct?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />HH

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Racor vs, Yamaha 10 Micron Filter

Would surmise the Yamaha is more expensive.

The purpose of the bowl is so you can drain it off. If the bowl is full, water will get into the fuel cartridge under the cowling and eventually into the engine.

If you have to drain your bowl frequently, you have either a bad gas supplier or a leak in your tank(s)

After 1-200 engine hours, I only get a 1/2 inch of water in my seperator. Then again, I fill up at a gas station and not a marina. Make it a routine to check the bowl each time you go out.

Propnuts

Cadet

Both Yamaha blue and most Racors filters are rated at filtering particles to 10 microns....the Yamaha blue filter is rated at a 90gph flow and the smaller Racors are 60. Racor also makes a 90gph but the element thead size is bigger. Any of the Yamaha engines will never come close to either of those flow ratings but in theory the Yamaha has a longer life because of its bigger filter area.

I prefer the Racor because you can see the fuel(clear bowl) whereas the Yamaha you have to dump the filter to check for water.

Quality wise I feel there is no difference. I would have to disagree with Yamaha mech saying the Yamaha is "better". I would say its personal preference.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you see water in the bowl of the Racor is it too late? I have also heard that when the filter gets full, water will pass through to the engine, correct? The Yamaha filter @ 90GPH is three times larger than the 90GPH Racor. I think this is why the tech was telling me to do with the Yamaha.

HH

Propnuts

Cadet

Either filter type can fill with water if water is present in the fuel system. If there is that much water in your system, you got other problems that need to be addressed. Like physically removing it and not relying on a water seperator to handle it.

Yes if either filter gets full of water it will pass through either. Yes the Yamaha is a bigger filter and could handle more water but like I said if you have that much water.....you have other problems.

There is nothing wrong with using either and both meet the 10 Micron Yamaha spec. But given a choice I would use the Racor 60gph with bowl in a outboard engine install just because I can do a physical check for water and or debris without removing the filter and dumping it out. Plain and simple.