Suzuki DT65 steering

seascout

Recruit
I have a 1990 DT65. Never had a problem with the motor but over the last little while the steering has become very loose - to the point that I can't let go of the wheel without the motor swinging wherever it wants when running. The motor was originally installed with the Suzuki (Morse) steering wheel. I can't seem to find anthing on either the motor or the backside of the steering wheel (or anywhere in between) to add some tension to the system. Anyone have any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks in Advance - I was very excited to stumble upon this website as information on Suzukis is hard to find.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT65 steering

Welcome to iBoats :) .. There should be a bolt on the engine by the transom bracket above the engine shaft that you can just tighten to make your steering more stiff ....

seascout

Recruit

Thanks for that! I will have a good look when I get the chance. I am at least pleased to hear it should be that easy. Much appreciated.

jethro5333

Cadet

I don't think the 65 has that adjustment bolt. only the 40hp and smaller had that.<br />if the engine is pulling the steering wheel when you are up and running, check your trim zinc, if it is missing or broken it can affect steering.

seascout

Recruit

Good point about the zinc - I'll check for that next time i'm at the boat. It was in near new condition when I looked at it recently but worth looking again regardless. It's not so much that it tends to pull to one side when running but that the steering is completely floppy. To make me even more curious, there is no slack in the wheel movement. I even tried wiggling the motor up and down on the pivot to see if it's coming loose in any way but no - just swings very freely.