1986 Yamaha 150 oil injection

2manyboats

Seaman
My oil injection spills oil into the engine housing when not running and the batteries are turned off. I'm not roo much of a mechanic, but can usually fix stuff with instruction. Help?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Yamaha 150 oil injection

Not sure how it can happen with the engine power off. Normal cause is the sensor in the engine monted oil tank or the oil control module being shorted.

cookiedoh

Seaman Apprentice

Is it like a little spill dripping out of the vents at the top of the tank or a constant flow of oil pumping out? It's possible that your tank sensor is restricted so the control module thinks the tank is low. Are you sure it's not overfilling the oil tank while it's running and you just didn't notice until after? The pump is electrical, so if the battery is disconnected and it still activley leaks the only thing I can think of is an actual oil leak, like a broken oil line off the tank.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The most common problem is the control unit overfilling the tank and the excess going into the airbox. When it sits it drains out into the cowling. this can be either a controller shorted or the tank sensor bad. First test is to turn on the ignition and see if the pump runs after the oil has reached the normal level marked on the tank.

2manyboats

Seaman

Thanks for the notes. Sorry to take so long to get back. I'll take her out for a spin to check the options.